stocking pre made hydraulic hoses

/ stocking pre made hydraulic hoses #1  

unitedhose

Advertiser
Does anybody stock premade hydraulic hose assemblies?

If so what is the common size of hose you stock 3/8 inch hoses or ス hoses and

What are the most common lengths you stock?

/ stocking pre made hydraulic hoses #2  
I stock some hoses, mostly for emergency replacements, as for lengths most are 48" and some 72" and 120" as that is the basic lengths I use, the biggest problem is having adapters on hand to go from IPT to O ring or JIC to pipe or O ring,
(the main reason is it is 50 miles to buy a hose of any type for me),

a few years ago I built a back hoe, and bought JIC ends hoses, and ordered extra and some different lengths as I was not sure what would work and have used up most of the extra in the last few years, on other various projects,

unless one has problems it is hard to stock as you have many various machines and it seems each one has some different end on it or a custom hose,

I have considered a hose crimping kit but the cost has always been more than I thought it would justify it self,

But I have felt if some one came up with a lower cost crimper that could be used in a common hydraulic shop press, and either with a set of more common ends or one set of ends (say O ring) and then adapters to meet the different other possibility's, such as pipe or JIC, and different sizes, such as 1/2" and 3/8", as with a roll of hose and ends and adapters and the cost was affordable it would be a great resource on the farm shop, and builders,

one more thing I think if it was put in a wall mount box, and in the package if there was small card that when the part was used, one could put on a hook and after a few accumulated, that a pocket with self addressed envelops could be pulled out and the cards put in and reordering could be very simple, and easy or a 800 number on the cards, or at least a easy number on the storage compartment and a set of 3x5 type cards for writing the part number on for reorder, and when new parts come some more cards,

I think the hardest thing is reordering the used pieces out of a kit, and before there gone, I know some times no method can help, me but some times having the part number easily observable and some list and a number for reorder, could make it easer, as then I do not have to figure out what company I got that from and where is the catalog, and then to figure out what the part number is, and what to order.

I know I could make my own cards with part numbers and the source, and hang or staple them next to the items I am storing,

the reason I think the hose roll and a low cost crimper and some ends would be better as I do not need to store 6 to 12 hoses to have the right one on hand. but to be able to make the correct hose that is needed, instead of goign to a dealer ship and having a custom hose made, or trying to find a dealer with stock hoses,

/ stocking pre made hydraulic hoses #3  
But I have felt if some one came up with a lower cost crimper that could be used in a common hydraulic shop press....

Eaton/Coll O Crimp has had tooling available for use with a shop press for a few years. The tooling itself is the expensive part of the proposition though. The means for providing pressure for the pressing/crimping operation is the easy and inexpensive part.

Here's a .pdf of what they have available:

http://www.eatonhydraulics.com/products/pdfs/W-HYOV-MC002-E2_Equipment_368-447.pdf

/ stocking pre made hydraulic hoses
I stock some hoses, mostly for emergency replacements, as for lengths most are 48" and some 72" and 120" as that is the basic lengths I use, the biggest problem is having adapters on hand to go from IPT to O ring or JIC to pipe or O ring,
(the main reason is it is 50 miles to buy a hose of any type for me),

a few years ago I built a back hoe, and bought JIC ends hoses, and ordered extra and some different lengths as I was not sure what would work and have used up most of the extra in the last few years, on other various projects,

unless one has problems it is hard to stock as you have many various machines and it seems each one has some different end on it or a custom hose,

I have considered a hose crimping kit but the cost has always been more than I thought it would justify it self,

But I have felt if some one came up with a lower cost crimper that could be used in a common hydraulic shop press, and either with a set of more common ends or one set of ends (say O ring) and then adapters to meet the different other possibility's, such as pipe or JIC, and different sizes, such as 1/2" and 3/8", as with a roll of hose and ends and adapters and the cost was affordable it would be a great resource on the farm shop, and builders,

one more thing I think if it was put in a wall mount box, and in the package if there was small card that when the part was used, one could put on a hook and after a few accumulated, that a pocket with self addressed envelops could be pulled out and the cards put in and reordering could be very simple, and easy or a 800 number on the cards, or at least a easy number on the storage compartment and a set of 3x5 type cards for writing the part number on for reorder, and when new parts come some more cards,

I think the hardest thing is reordering the used pieces out of a kit, and before there gone, I know some times no method can help, me but some times having the part number easily observable and some list and a number for reorder, could make it easer, as then I do not have to figure out what company I got that from and where is the catalog, and then to figure out what the part number is, and what to order.

I know I could make my own cards with part numbers and the source, and hang or staple them next to the items I am storing,

the reason I think the hose roll and a low cost crimper and some ends would be better as I do not need to store 6 to 12 hoses to have the right one on hand. but to be able to make the correct hose that is needed, instead of goign to a dealer ship and having a custom hose made, or trying to find a dealer with stock hoses,

if you buy one of each hose on the left side and use a connecting adaptor you can make the following lengths of hoses up. you can get within 1 inches of the actual hose you need.
also adaptors are not that difficult to figure out

most ports are 1/2 npt or #8 male oring
so if you buy 3/8 female jic hoses buy a few #6 male jic by 1/2 male npt adaptors and a few #6 male jic by #8 male oring adaptors. look at all the hoses you can make up for around $100 total investment

if you have some really long hoses on your implements stock one hose of each up to 240 inches.

also, you can just stock 1/2 hoses if you want to start with as in a lot of cases you can use a 1/2 hose instead of a 3/8 hose that was originally on the implement

12 27 30 33 36 42 48 60 72 84 96
15 33 36 39 45 51 63 75 87 99
18 33 39 42 48 54 66 78 90 102
21 36 39 45 51 57 69 81 93 105
24 39 42 45 54 60 72 84 96 108
30 45 48 51 54 66 78 90 102 114
36 51 54 57 60 66 84 96 108 120
48 63 66 69 72 78 84 108 120 132
60 75 78 81 84 90 96 108 132 144
72 87 90 93 96 102 108 120 132 156
84 99 102 105 108 114 120 132 144 156

/ stocking pre made hydraulic hoses #6  
I couldn't see throwing away the long hoses when changing them on Gradalls, some were like 20 ft. I took them home and bought reusable ends and cut to length I need. We've only blown one end off. Also found out that the reusable ends won't work on the super high pressure hoses. I've also seen some good deals on bulk hose on ebay.

/ stocking pre made hydraulic hoses #7  
The hose and fittings police are watching, and whining and crying about what people are doing with their hoses and fittings.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to match up everything as to manufacture suggestions, policies, but you all know one does what one has to do. I have not been turned away from a hyd supply co. that refused to fix or make up a hose for me. I have never heard them say that they guarantee only if all the parts match. If a new hose were to blow out or the fitting to burst, they know that your tractor can not produce the pressure that the hoses and fittings are tested. If the hose is old and cracked, they can say normal wear and tear, and you pay. People are going to do what they have to do to satisfied their needs