Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do?

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #11  
I have an aluminum bender that does 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" steel tubing. 3/8" bends easy, 1/2" takes some grunt to get it done. I have the 370-FH Stride Tool Inc. - Imperial® Triple Head Tube Benders For Soft Copper, Aluminum and Thin-Walled Steel

As KennyD can attest; there are more different types of fittings than Carter has little liver pills. If you are using ORFS (O-Ring Face Seal) fittings, then brazing isn't too difficult; but you need an Oxy/Acetylene torch to do it right. I would think 3/8" and 1/4" tubing will be more than adequate.

Do you have a Parker Store near you? Until I become more confident with hydraulics to order online; the local Parker Store has been quite helpful.

Now if I can just find the time to get back on my steel lines project.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do?
Thanks for all the suggestion. There is not much for hydraulic supply around me. I have had pretty good luck with a local truck repair shop buidling hoses and having fittings in stock but have not used them outside of this.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #13  
I found the 3/8" tubing very easy to bend. My local tube bending service sold me the lines flared with fittings for 45 bucks with tax. Those fittings ( JIC or similar name ) can get very expensive. By the time I had every line completed with the hydraulic hoses, coupler ends it was twice what I had figured. Sure makes a nice job though.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #14  
[QUOTEUse good tubing. 3/8 is pretty easy to bend. Just sneak up on the final angle as it's easy to bend it a touch more and a real pain to try and unbend it!.][/QUOTE]

Tubing comes in many material configurations and pressure/corrosion ratings.

Almost impossible to make any changes to a bend unless one just bends farther.:D

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #15  
Here's a site with some specs on tubing. I've heard that garden tractors don't have all that much pressure, one fellow said his had a working pressure of under 1000 psi. I'd be interested to see what various units do have for pressure and gpm flow...anybody want to post their GT hydraulic specs? :) Also, brake line might be a viable choice for you...just saying...
Team Tube Ltd.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do?
The plans that I purchased were from PF Engineering (Loader Plans, CAD Plans, Build a Loader, Front End Loader ) and they talk about running the system around 1,000 psi at 4-8 GPM. Higher pressures than that will lift more weight than the little tractor can handle. Based on the plans and other forums I suspect the system will be running between 750 and 1,000 psi. As with everything I am trying to plan for multiple options. While I currently have a Garden tractor (2wd ) in the future I could see purchasing a small 4wd tractor. Therefore I am planning on building the loader to handle a little more so if I moved it to a small 4wd tractor it will still work. This could see the pressure a high as maybe 1,500 psi.

It seems like the steel lines fab shouldn't be to bad just have to keep track of the fittings. I didn't realize there was so many type of flares, fittings, and connections. Seems like the simiplest design is to keep with a 37 deg flares and the corrisponding JIC fittings but my head is still spinning with all the different types.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #17  
It seems like the steel lines fab shouldn't be to bad just have to keep track of the fittings. I didn't realize there was so many type of flares, fittings, and connections. Seems like the simiplest design is to keep with a 37 deg flares and the corrisponding JIC fittings but my head is still spinning with all the different types.

Welcome to the world of hydraulics.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #18  
**** solid lines are the blight of my life . lost 3 days this week lifting cabs to access and replace them not to mention $180 for an 18 inch pipe. any chance i get they get replaced with hose ..far better for future maintenance .