Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do?

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #1  

workinprogress

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 1512
I have started to collect parts to build a small loader for a Cub Cadet garden tractor. I was hoping for a nice clean professional design by building steel lines which I can fix to the loader in places. Having only worked with small metal lines (Car Brake lines) with premade ends. I am not sure how hard this would be? The loader plans have it running off a 4-8gpm pump so the metal lines won't be that large (thinking about 3/8 inch or so).

Any thoughts would be great. I currently don't have flaring tools etc to make the ends.

Thanks

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #2  
I recently plumbed rear hydraulics on my tractor using seamless (thick) walled steel tubing...

I used a combination of bends and mechanical flareless fittings...

I have a cast aluminum tubing bender but it was not meant for bending the harder thicker walled tubing as it is intended...But I was able to use my hands and bend the tubing around the cast sweep of the bender (I'm sure if I would have tried to use the bending arm it would have broken...

I was very surprised how easy it was and how well the flareless fittings worked...

in the picture attached the "T" fitting is on the return line for a second valve that will be plumbed from the PB port on the first valve...

The second pic is how I set it up for a pressure test before putting the fender etc back on...

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 2,796
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 2,192
   / Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #3  
Very nice job!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

What make fittings did you use? Thanks.:D

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #4  
Steel benders aren't that expensive. harbor Freight has a few different models that are reasonable and I have heard work pretty well.

Another option on the fittings is brazing the lines, it's pretty easy to learn if you haven't done it before. You do need an oxy acetelene set up though.

I plan on redoing the lines on my MF1010 this winter. A lot of mine are the hoses and frankly I prefer the clean look of the steel lines.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #5  
I have started to collect parts to build a small loader for a Cub Cadet garden tractor. I was hoping for a nice clean professional design by building steel lines which I can fix to the loader in places. Having only worked with small metal lines (Car Brake lines) with premade ends. I am not sure how hard this would be? The loader plans have it running off a 4-8gpm pump so the metal lines won't be that large (thinking about 3/8 inch or so).

Any thoughts would be great. I currently don't have flaring tools etc to make the ends.

Thanks

Do you have a decent hydraulic supply store in your area? They would have thetubing, fittings, tube bender, flaring tools,clamps etc. Parker and Aeroquip are two companies that have stores in this area where you can walk down the isles and look at the different fittings which sometimes help plan the job.

They would also have charts to help you size the tubing and get the correct wall thickness for the pressures you will be operating at.

Roy

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #6  
You could also use fittings that do not require flaring.:thumbsup:

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #7  
when I did my back hoe and loader, I used steel tubing and used JIC flares, I will suggest a Ridgid flare tool, JIC are 37 degree, I found a Ridgid 377 flare tool off of Ebay for about $30, a number of years ago, also got a bender for the steel tube, off of Ebay, and it turned out nice,

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #8  
What make fittings did you use?
I could not find a brand name on any of the fittings...some were dark and and some where shiny...the shiny ones said "China" on them...

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #9  
Swagelok is one brand of flareless fitting. The HydraulicStore sells another type as well as tubing.

/ Steel Hydraulic Lines for Loader - Hard to do? #10  
Use good tubing. 3/8 is pretty easy to bend. Just sneak up on the final angle as it's easy to bend it a touch more and a real pain to try and unbend it!.