How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator??

/ How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator?? #41  
OK, quityer bit-chin. Here is the answer and the solution. Hooked this up to my F935 front mower PTO (2000 rpm) by extending the drive shaft to the side. Mounted the gearbox on the mower deck just for the sake of convenience. Then hook the PTO alternator to the 540 splined shaft.

Yes, you will be running this gearset opposite of what's described. No, it doesn't matter. Yes, you will need a coupler for the motor shaft to the gearbox shaft (They offer one). No, its not too light for the service (rated at 60 HP), Yes, my 3 cyl diesel coasts along at the 540 pto rpm, No, I don't have a tach on the mower motor, Yes, I bought the $40 photo tach at Harbour Freight. No, I don't take the mower off to run the alternator, it just sits there, disconnected. Yes, I also have a gizmo that I bought at Costco for $24 that measures voltage and frequency of anything you plug it into. No, I don't remove the gearbox from the mower deck when I cut the grass. Yes, I just switch the pto to the other shaft.

Any questions?

/ How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator?? #42  
Cool solution ZZ.

I could use one, the reason this thread caught my eye initially.

Rgds, D.

/ How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator?? #43  
Yes, my 3 cyl diesel coasts along at the 540 pto rpm

That's great, but I wouldn't run it that way for any length of time unless the engine manufacturer says it's okay. Diesels like to be *worked*, and we see plenty of issues when the ones we have in the rental fleet either aren't matched to the application.

Wet-stacking is the biggest problem. Contractors often choose gensets, (it seems), by deciding how often they don't want to be bothered with refueling. So they rent a towable 45KW unit instead of a more "properly-sized-for-their-power-requirements" unit because it has the bigger fuel tank for longer running.

The genset engines are governed to a certain rpm, just like all generator engines are. If the generator is turning at a given rpm for hours on end, but the engine isn't working because there's not enough power demand, then wet-stacking will result. There's just not enough "work" being done by the engine to produce the amount of heat the manufacturer intended.

What does the term "Wet Stacking" mean in a diesel engine? - Diesel Generator Set

It's probably less of an issue in your application, but still.....the mower engine was likely chosen and installed with the intention that it was going to be seeing "X" amount of load at "X" rpm for hours on end. There's some wiggle room built in, of course.....but it's best to consult the engine manufacturer's specs to see how much wiggle room there is before spending the $$ and building a system that's going to require running the engine for extended periods of time outside of its design parameters.

;)

/ How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator?? #44  
It doesn't make sense to me to gear down the engine and then gear it back up to run the generator think ofg the power loss , pto generators run at 3600 rpm so if you remove the gear box and atach the engine your done .