BURR MILL/GRIST MILL

/ BURR MILL/GRIST MILL #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
Has any one ever made one?

If so what did you use for burrs? and where did you get them?

If you did make one how did you power it?

any other tips?

I was wanting some thing for for grinding proso millet, (bird seed) it is about 1/16" in diameter, and want to crack it, it has a hard shell and nearly passes through an animal untouched, and will germinate when excreted, in goats and cattle, so I really doubt if they are getting as much out of it as they could be. Proso millet

/ BURR MILL/GRIST MILL #2  
What kind of volume are you looking at?

There should be commercial ones available.:)

Intermech for agro machines

Consider the cost of building versus buying. You may find some used ones but usually they will be larger and require quite a few HP to run.:)

Last edited:
   / BURR MILL/GRIST MILL
I can locate antique units with no source of any parts,
or new that cost in the $600 on up for about a unit with a 5" burr, there seem to basically be two units made

CS Bell Power Gristmill ~ Choppers/Grinders

and Meadows which is a 6" unit, http://www.meadowsmills.com/steelburrmill.htm

Steel Burr Gristmill Grain Corn Grinder Mills at Pleasant Hill Grain

and if one buys the complete unit your looking at $1200 to $2700+, and it out of my budget, so using the mills model which is a weldament looks like a fairly simple unit,

Last edited:
   / BURR MILL/GRIST MILL #4  
I have had C S Bell grinders and they are beautiful. They can be bought at Lehman Hardware in Kidron, Ohio and parts from them or the Bell Co in Ohio.
These look simple but require small degrees of adjustment difficult to obtain and different burrs depending on material. Oil-type seeds need special burrs.
It would seem these would bedifficult to build and just buying a modern unit would be cheaper and more satisfying.
Bell sells one that can be hand or vee-belt pwered that can really turn out a volume and should maybe cost $600

It is referenced in the above thread--and here--

http://www.enasco.com/product/Z08247N

/ BURR MILL/GRIST MILL
Sixdogs thanks for the recommendation and the info,

/ BURR MILL/GRIST MILL
This is what I came up with, and it has 6" burrs and uses the "la milpa" burrs from C S Bell,

drawing
Picture020.jpg

parts
Picture043.jpg

basic frame
Picture047.jpg

test assambled before painting,
Picture052.jpg

painted,
Picture054.jpg

nearly done and grinding,
Picture061.jpg