Almost-quick hitch with ratchet top link

/ Almost-quick hitch with ratchet top link #1  

picker77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3032E, dual remotes, TnT, tooth bar, grapple
This is my poor man's quick hitch solution. Not very fancy but it works fine and saves my tired old back a lot of wrestling stuff around. The cast iron hooks are a pair of Pat's Easy Hitch wanna-be's I bought off Ebay several years ago for $40 or so. They work fine, but do require manual drop-in of the locking pins after hooking on and lifting the implement a few inches, so I do have to get off the tractor to do that, and of course at the same time hook up the top link. Not fancy, but it didn't cost me $225 either. The drawback (and I think this problem is pretty common for this type of hook-type hitch) is the two chunks of cast iron extend things rearward about 4", so now my top link wouldn't extend enough to completely level the box blade. Read on.

To solve the above too-short top link problem, get rid of the cheesy little knuckle-buster "handle" on my original Cat 1 top link, and allow stay-in-the-seat top link adjustment while box blading, I came up with this. It actually works pretty good--it's a heavy duty ratchet-type chain boomer with the chain hook ends cut off and Cat 1 balls from TSC welded on each end. Length is builder's choice, I made this one about 5" longer than the original top link. Now I can easily reach back and adjust the box blade angle from the tractor seat. Again, not as nice as a hydraulic top link, but much better than what I had before, and cost was very low. Someday when I hit the lottery I'll add rear remotes and top 'n tilt, but this serves me well in the meantime. Lots of you guys have probably built one of these, but I hadn't seen it before so it was a new idea to me.

Attachments

• Quick hitch 1.JPG
    Quick hitch 1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 725
  • Ratchet top link.JPG
    Ratchet top link.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 883
   / Almost-quick hitch with ratchet top link #2  
I like it, I went the Carters instead of the Pats, doesnt add any length, as they hook up on the top of the lift arm in the same plane as the original ball. They do add about 3 inches of height , but not any problem with anything I have, so you dont have to extend your PTO.
James K0UA

/ Almost-quick hitch with ratchet top link #3  
Here is my version

Attachments

• IM001762.JPG
    IM001762.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 623
   / Almost-quick hitch with ratchet top link #4  
I had an Oliver 1600 Utility Tractor about 10 years ago and I remember it had a type of quick hitch built into the 3 point arms. They used a ball system that mounted on the implements. It was infinitely variable as far as width and did not add any length. Oliver was noted for their innovations, they were green, similar to Deere. Don't know why that system did not catch on. That is the one thing I miss the most about that Tractor.