Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    john deere x530

Default linear actuator for plow blade

Does anyone know of a 12volt linear actuator that is strong enough to use to angle a plow blade on my JD X530?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: linear actuator for plow blade

Have you looked at them at TBN sponsor Surplus Center?

surpluscenter.com

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

I would be surprised it one can take the forces that a plow blade would put on it.

But, if you can find one that can, I would be interested.

You would be better off with a 12 volt hydraulic power pack to supply the oil for a hydraulic cylinder . They can be single or double acting and are commonly used for tipping trailers etc . A spring loaded toggle switch in the cabin is all you would need , some come with a cord and a pendant with up down functions .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linear actuator for plow blade-power-pack.jpg  

Tractor
    jd 1070

I bought an electric linear actuator off eBay a few years ago (operates like a hydraulic cylinder) Its labeled for 24v but runs easily on 12v (1/2 the "normal" speed). I think it would work for a snow plow blade because the time its generally used is for swinging the blade when you are not plowing, but changing lanes or direction. The important thing for plowing is its ability to stay put when you have it at the angle desired. My actuator would do that job.

When you apply power to it, it runs one way. Break the circuit and reconnect runs it the other way. So, a push button works to get the desired length (position). This may have been a gate opener design at one time. I've used it to raise the header on my hay baler when I didn't have any rear remotes...
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

toy
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    I bought an electric linear actuator off eBay a few years ago (operates like a hydraulic cylinder) Its labeled for 24v but runs easily on 12v (1/2 the "normal" speed). I think it would work for a snow plow blade because the time its generally used is for swinging the blade when you are not plowing, but changing lanes or direction. The important thing for plowing is its ability to stay put when you have it at the angle desired. My actuator would do that job.

When you apply power to it, it runs one way. Break the circuit and reconnect runs it the other way. So, a push button works to get the desired length (position). This may have been a gate opener design at one time. I've used it to raise the header on my hay baler when I didn't have any rear remotes...
    I am not a farmer so I was wondering what is the approximate weight of the header on the hay baler?

Tractor
    Farmnought.Gravely Model L,Gravely Model LI,1941 Clinton two wheeler

I was just casually looking at them in the Northern Tool catalog...the extension time is 8mm per second. The snow would melt first.
    1945 Allis-Chalmers,1967 Wheelhorse.The wife has a bubble hooded Simplicity and a Dixon.
    Anything green here- has roots or gets spent!!!

Tractor
    john deere x530

This looks interesting. Appears to a little large but with some creativity I could possibly find a place to mount it. Thanks for the info.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    I have bent, and sheared, several 3/8 square steel pins over the years, used to lock the angle of my 6' plow.

This was from nothing but snow, and ice. There are no curbs, stones, or poles, in my driveway.

I can't see an actuator tolerating that.

I have always thought if I had a solenoid that could lock, and unlock the blade, then an actuator, or perhaps even a tug on a rope, could do the movement.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

You might want to look here: Hydramotion Hydraulics Page

They make electric-hydraulic actuators. They said movement as fast 2 inches per second and up to 2500 #'s. Strokes between 4 and 48 inches. Don't know the cost though I've seen a small one for sell on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast