linear actuator for plow blade

/ linear actuator for plow blade #1  

rfowler

Tractor
john deere x530
Does anyone know of a 12volt linear actuator that is strong enough to use to angle a plow blade on my JD X530?

/ linear actuator for plow blade #2  
Have you looked at them at TBN sponsor Surplus Center?

surpluscenter.com

/ linear actuator for plow blade #3  
I would be surprised it one can take the forces that a plow blade would put on it.

But, if you can find one that can, I would be interested.

/ linear actuator for plow blade #4  
You would be better off with a 12 volt hydraulic power pack to supply the oil for a hydraulic cylinder . They can be single or double acting and are commonly used for tipping trailers etc . A spring loaded toggle switch in the cabin is all you would need , some come with a cord and a pendant with up down functions .

/ linear actuator for plow blade #5  
I bought an electric linear actuator off eBay a few years ago (operates like a hydraulic cylinder) Its labeled for 24v but runs easily on 12v (1/2 the "normal" speed). I think it would work for a snow plow blade because the time its generally used is for swinging the blade when you are not plowing, but changing lanes or direction. The important thing for plowing is its ability to stay put when you have it at the angle desired. My actuator would do that job.

When you apply power to it, it runs one way. Break the circuit and reconnect runs it the other way. So, a push button works to get the desired length (position). This may have been a gate opener design at one time. I've used it to raise the header on my hay baler when I didn't have any rear remotes...

/ linear actuator for plow blade #6  
I bought an electric linear actuator off eBay a few years ago (operates like a hydraulic cylinder) Its labeled for 24v but runs easily on 12v (1/2 the "normal" speed). I think it would work for a snow plow blade because the time its generally used is for swinging the blade when you are not plowing, but changing lanes or direction. The important thing for plowing is its ability to stay put when you have it at the angle desired. My actuator would do that job.

When you apply power to it, it runs one way. Break the circuit and reconnect runs it the other way. So, a push button works to get the desired length (position). This may have been a gate opener design at one time. I've used it to raise the header on my hay baler when I didn't have any rear remotes...
I am not a farmer so I was wondering what is the approximate weight of the header on the hay baler?

/ linear actuator for plow blade #7  
I was just casually looking at them in the Northern Tool catalog...the extension time is 8mm per second. The snow would melt first.

/ linear actuator for plow blade
This looks interesting. Appears to a little large but with some creativity I could possibly find a place to mount it. Thanks for the info.

/ linear actuator for plow blade #9  

I have bent, and sheared, several 3/8 square steel pins over the years, used to lock the angle of my 6' plow.

This was from nothing but snow, and ice. There are no curbs, stones, or poles, in my driveway.

I can't see an actuator tolerating that.

I have always thought if I had a solenoid that could lock, and unlock the blade, then an actuator, or perhaps even a tug on a rope, could do the movement.

/ linear actuator for plow blade #10  
You might want to look here: Hydramotion Hydraulics Page

They make electric-hydraulic actuators. They said movement as fast 2 inches per second and up to 2500 #'s. Strokes between 4 and 48 inches. Don't know the cost though I've seen a small one for sell on ebay.