DIY grille guard

/ DIY grille guard #1  

northcreek2624

Gold Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK40(2002)) Jacobsen 628D AWD Turfcat
In case you're interested......Mike
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=kioti&Number=198889&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1#Post199411>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=kioti&Number=198889&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1#Post199411</A>

/ DIY grille guard #3  
That's a pretty slick looking guard. Kinda reminds me of those intimidating looking front bumpers they sell for quads. You should sell them. I particularly like the custom paint...

- Gerald

/ DIY grille guard #4  
Cool! I like. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Would not want to run into that on a dark alley.

/ DIY grille guard #5  
that grille guard is really neat...are you still thinking of fabricating these for sale as mentioned in earlier posts?

/ DIY grille guard
<font color=red>"are you still thinking of fabricating these for sale?"</font color=red>

L3650,Yes but,it might be a winter thing.I'm working with a friend to cut costs and make it better..........Mike

/ DIY grille guard #7  
That just forced me to change my grill guard design once again. I'll finally complete it once I knock the grill out of the tractor and have to buy a new one.

/ DIY grille guard #8  
<font color=blue>I'm working with a friend to cut costs and make it better..........Mike
</font color=blue>

I don't know Mike. Most times I see folks going for one or the other./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

You have a true work of art there.

I can see you wanting to simplify the production with volume methodology in cutting the pieces and maybe a jig or two for assembly. But this would only be to make it easier on you and not to make it cheaper for the the consumer.

My logic is the line between everyone with the same tractor being willing to pay for the grill guard and those willing to pay a premium price for your grill guard has got to be quite a spread.

You have to ask yourself where in that spread you want to be.

I'd suggest the upper end. After all, the value to the consumer is gonna be in their mind. You could sell them for less than the cost of the materials and some folks will still figure them too expensive for their use. Others are going to assume the higher the price the more exclusive the owner's club and buy just for that reason.

Occasionally I'll build a front grill guard for a truck. They start around twenty five hundred dollars. I don't build many. And each time I swear I'll never build another. They're one of those things where you just always seem to put more into them than you can get out of them.

At first I had visions of finding my niche. Then I realized that most folks want what's already out there and I couldn't compete making those products one at a time unless I wanted to work for what one of the laborers working at their factory made.

I knew I didn't want to make a grill guard for a truck and only get nine hundred for it while the customer was paying fifteen hundred. But that's what I had to do if I wanted to compete with what was out there. The economies of scale demand that you not only cut costs to be competitive but cut costs so your retailers are competitive.

I decided not to go there.

/ DIY grille guard #9  
Mike,

When I saw "North Creek" as your alias I though it was a long shot but then I checked your bio and removed all doubt.
What a co-incidence!

Jonathan Eich

BTW, nice grill gaurd, maybe I'll have to stop by and get some pointers for my Kubota!

/ DIY grille guard
Harv,Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with me.My son and I were kicking around many of the things you mentioned and you sure provided answers to most of them.
Naturally my 23 year old son would like to start production tomorrow but,I think more along your lines and prefer a wait and see approach.
Since most of us are usually trying to stretch our tractor dollars I'm thinking most would be happy with a factory $150 guard vs a custom $450 unit.
Thanks again for your time.........Mike