How to build terraces on 5 ac.

/ How to build terraces on 5 ac. #1  

drewmandrews

Tractor
John Deere 3032e
Need to know how to make some terraces for pasture land.

/ How to build terraces on 5 ac. #2  
You came to the right forum, someone here can help you. Maybe try in the "Rural Living" section.

/ How to build terraces on 5 ac. #3  
Need to know how to make some terraces for pasture land.

Why do you want them? We have them and the county agent says we don't need them - on our rolling land. Said was done years ago to reduce erosion on crop land but they don't do it anymore. I've had some terrifying moments trying to cut and maintain around ours.

/ How to build terraces on 5 ac. #4  
That 5 acres would have to be very steep before I would even consider a terrace. What is your situation exactly? any pictures? Ken Sweet

/ How to build terraces on 5 ac. #5  
My Great Grandfather made several 1/4 mile long terraces using a plow and a mule. Must have taken a long time but they are holding strong 100 years later.

If you need them I think a bull dozer would be a good option.

/ How to build terraces on 5 ac. #6  
My dad started building terraces about 1940 with a one-way plow. You might not be familiar with a one-way, but it is a single string of disc set at an angle and you go round and round the field one-way, of course, since the plow moves the soil only one way. Dad made them going down and back numerous times to create a ridge(terrace). You can cut only the channel by deadheading back to the start. I understand you can do the same thing with a moldboard plow, but that is something we don't use around here in SW Kansas. I don't know how well it will work trying to moldboard numerous times the same soil.