VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport?

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
I just got myself a vertical mill, and now I need to feed it some 3 phase power. (Actually, I still need to get the base home, but that's another story.) I've researched TBN and other places, and can't decide between a VFD and a rotary phase converter. (Although a number of people seem to run mills on static converters, since that doesn't provide reverse and it limits power, I'm not considering a static.)

Any real world experience between the VFD and rotary options? I like the idea of the extra speed variability with the VFD, but are they noisier than RPC's? There was some discussion of that on the Practical Machinist forum.

TIA for any comparative info.

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #2  
I just got myself a vertical mill, and now I need to feed it some 3 phase power. (Actually, I still need to get the base home, but that's another story.) I've researched TBN and other places, and can't decide between a VFD and a rotary phase converter. (Although a number of people seem to run mills on static converters, since that doesn't provide reverse and it limits power, I'm not considering a static.)

Any real world experience between the VFD and rotary options? I like the idea of the extra speed variability with the VFD, but are they noisier than RPC's? There was some discussion of that on the Practical Machinist forum.

TIA for any comparative info.

I added a VFD to both my drill mill 2 HP and Lathe 2HP , it will give more speed control and and motors run cooler and more efficent.

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #4  
I used a static converter for years on my mill untill I got three phase, and you reverse a motor the same way as with three phase, switch any two wires, I just use a reversing switch, on my mill.
(personally I could tell little difference on the mill running on the converter or the true three phase)

I have a rotary converter, as well and only used that on the walk in cooler and freezer, since they start under load,

Last edited:
   / VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #5  
For a milling machine, I'd recommend a VFD as Mike mentioned. Make sure you find one that matches your input/output phase and voltage.

For a lathe, a rotary phase converter works fine.

I've got 2 mills on VFDs and 3 lathes on RPCs.

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #6  
I have two mills on static's and reversing them isn't a problem. The switch on the mill is for that, the static just provides incoming power that the mill uses in which direction it wants. You can even reverse it during operation, if that is what you were alluding to_One is a varible speed Bridgeport (2J) David from jax

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport?
Thanks everyone. Somewhere I had read that with a static converter the reversing switch position didn't matter. Either I didn't understand what that individual was saying or they were just wrong.

Since it seems that none of you have any complaints about noise from VFD's, I'm gonna go in that direction. Thanks for those links!

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #8  
I use actech single to 3 phase drives at work better than a phase converter in my opinion

smv-N1.jpg

Lenze-ACTech SMVector Series

tom

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #9  
I have read posts from knowledgeable people who said you must use the VFD for all switching operations and you will damage the VFD if you try to use the switches the mill came with.

/ VFD or Rotary Phase Converter for Bridgeport? #10  
I have read posts from knowledgeable people who said you must use the VFD for all switching operations and you will damage the VFD if you try to use the switches the mill came with.

Very true they don't like opening the motor leads ( ie drum switch to reverse)

but a 3 way selector switch on off on works connected to drive.

tom