Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #1  

JCC

This has probably been asked, but I s&*k at search. Does anyone know a steel supplier in the central or north NJ area which caters to (or just tolerates) DIYers. Someone with a scrap bin selling by the pound would be ideal. I looked on Google (which is worthless) and in the yellow pages but all I can find is big B2B distributors which will not even give me the time of day let alone a price for small quantities.

Thanks

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #2  
This has probably been asked, but I s&*k at search. Does anyone know a steel supplier in the central or north NJ area which caters to (or just tolerates) DIYers. Someone with a scrap bin selling by the pound would be ideal. I looked on Google (which is worthless) and in the yellow pages but all I can find is big B2B distributors which will not even give me the time of day let alone a price for small quantities.

Thanks

I get most all my steel from fazios in glassboro, you can browse around and get any quantity you want, hardware at $1.50 a pound, all kinds of used goodies

I bought a used 16" circular saw blade for $20 for a tree and brush trimmer.

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #3  

Thanks

a local machine shop some times has scrap laying around also u can get small pieces at grangers or mcmastercar.

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #4  
Back in the day I use to purchase my stock from these guys, but your needs may be too small.

Benedict-Miller - 4130 Steel, 4130 Aircraft Steel, 4130 Alloy Tubing, 4130 Steel Tubing, 4130 Steel Sheets, aircraft quality, Steel Supplier

Many, many years ago I would buy some stock from these guys too.

Master Heat Treating Inc Business Information. Springfield NJ 07081-2993

This is a fairly good size tool shop in Warren Co.
They may want to unload some stock.

Bergen Machine & Tool Co IncBergen Machine & Tool Co Incs=9926922733849375183
Place page
91 Main St
Hackettstown, NJ 07840-1912
(908) 852-0719

One of them may at least be willing to point you to a decent scrap yard.

What do you need anyway?
Usually and good hardware store will have a stock room with angle iron and flat stock. They do around here, and I live in the boonies.

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #5  
I have had excellent luck buying metal from my local scrap yard/metal recycler. Historically it has cost about 25 cents a pound. This is probably where the "tolerates a DIYer" comes in but they have always let me wander the yard and search for what I want. They also have racks of clean metal that they pull out of the yard to sell, usually by-the-foot but it is still much cheaper than buying at our local metal suppliers. See if there is a scrap yard in your area and try to build a relationship with them or see if they ever sell material.

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey
Thanks, for the replies, good leads to try.

I should have mentioned what stock I am looking for. Basically hot rolled steel in 1/4-1/2" thickness up to 8" by a few feet, also rectangular and round tubing up to 5" by 6', bars up to 2" or so things of that nature.

I know McMaster Carr has it but their prices are pretty steep. Buying online is mostly out because the shipping is almost half the price of the stock. Someone once mentioned to me a shop near Willingboro (south Jersey) which was really good but I can't remember the name. Anyone familiar with it?

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #8  
I have the same problem. Its really tough if you dont know someone with an accout at a local steel supplier. I was getting rediculous prices for 2" square stock and 1"alumum square stock too. For example the aluminum was $95 for 20' piece. I contacted my old welding instructor from a night course and he told me to go to a place in flemming and give them his name. The same piece of alumum was $21! Talk about mark up!....

I dont know how their prices are with out using a name but here they are... Very nice people to deal with at the time.
josephfazzioinc/

Here is a map of where it is...
Google Map of Fazzio

good luck.. In the beginning i though it was impossible for a diyer because of the cost...

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #9  
Here is were i go 1st
it might be a little far but

9315_11.JPG

Main Office & Retail Yard
58 Hartz Road
Fleetwood, PA 19522
610-921-8848
Weekdays:7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Saturday:7:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Sunday:Closed

its just off 73

and for new stuff
logo.gif

toll Free: 877-HSI-8855
Phone: 610-287-8855
Fax: 610-287-0790
Address: 4841 Garges Road; Schwenksville, Pa 19473

tom

/ Steel suppliers in central/north New Jersey #10  
I will add another endorsement for Joe Fazzio's. Its down in Williamstown which is a bit of a hike from North Jersey, but I guaratee it will be worth the trip. It is like no other place on earth. They sell scrap metal by the pound exactly as you describe. Plus they have a well stocked hardware store and surplus junk room that are worth spending an hour to two browsing.

Now that I'm out in Michigan, I can't count the number of times I've wished I had a place like Joe Fazzio's within a 2 hour drive. I used to work at the airport that's about 5 minutes from Fazzio's. Many was the time that we'd be working on an aircraft restoration and the mechanic would say 'we need to make a new bushing for this, go over to Fazzio's and see if you can find some stainless steel tubing that has these inner and outer dimensions.' I'd go over and rumage around for 10 minutes with a micrometer and find a 6' length of stainless tubing that was the right size and cost about $5. If you go, you won't be sorry.