home made stump vise for saw

/ home made stump vise for saw #1  

gochenour799

I misplaced my vise so I went to town today to buy one . I went to rual king , nope . I went to a husky dealer , nope . I went to the other orange saw place , nope but we can get one take bout a week. So being desperate I even went to wally word they had files no vise. Hmmm I guess I will build one. It came out ok I think the points need to be sharper .other than that What do you think .
IMAG0103.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0104.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0105.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0106.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0108.jpg
[/IMG]

/ home made stump vise for saw #2  
Looks good, I think your right about the longer points / spikes.

/ home made stump vise for saw
Had to make a revision , but that's half the fun right ?

IMAG0109.jpg
[/IMG]

/ home made stump vise for saw #5  
When in a bind I just cut across a small stump and lay the bar in it , keeps it from going side to side.
Roy

/ home made stump vise for saw #7  
Had to make a revision , but that's half the fun right ?

IMAG0109.jpg
[/IMG]

Would'nt it be easier to use one lag in the center and screw it in to the log or stump and then when your done unsrew it and be done, rather than hammering it in then prying out. Thats how mine is set up works good, I think. I always thought the Husky dealer was the other orange saw store :laughing:

/ home made stump vise for saw #8  
Nice work there and some great suggestions. The guy in the Youtube put a lot of effort into that. Good thing his saw was sharp enough to make those cuts..
Myself I bring along a scrench. Take off the old chain pop on another sharp one. Clean out the bar guides and am back to cutting in just a few minutes. That way at home I can put a good edge on the chain with the sharpener. Usually I don't have to take off much of the cutting teeth and dress down the depth cutters if need be. That is unless of course I have used the saw as a metal detector and hit nails or whatever else happens to be in the tree.. I don't let my Dad use my saws anymore because he must think they are trenching machines... :~(

Last edited:
   / home made stump vise for saw #9  
My scrench is on a piece of parachute cord tied to the chain guard. When the guard goes on the bar, the scrench is stuck down thru one of the holes in the side of the guard to secure it (the scench).The tractor tool box always has a spare chain and file in it....just in case.
I do like that wooden vise though. Next time I cut down a tree around the wood shed or shop I'll have to give it a try...Nice coat of spar varnish,,,, could look good

/ home made stump vise for saw #10  
Looks nice!

If you guys are looking for a good stump vise I recommend Stihl. High quality and easy to use. And made in the USA I believe! Can't beat that!