Surprised Myself! (wife too)

/ Surprised Myself! (wife too) #1  

shade2u2

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
For most of you, there isn't much "building" to my recent project, but for me, it was an accomplishment... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
With my box blade, I made a "trenching-wire laying" contraption for installing our pet radio fence that actually worked pretty well. The nice thing was that it was made from stuff lying around collecting dust > thrifty or cheap as my wife would say. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif
I used exhaust pipe clamps to attach a 90 degree angle sweep piece of 3/4" schedule40 pipe to the middle digging tine of the box blade - turned away from the digging point.
Here's a picture of that (with dirt attached /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif).

Attachments

• 53-203372-TrencherWireLayerRearUnderB.JPG
    53-203372-TrencherWireLayerRearUnderB.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,508
   / Surprised Myself! (wife too)
I used 2 C-clamps to attach an old garden hose roller the 3 pt support bracket of the box blade. The spool of wire slipped right on the roller axle allowing it to hang just over the middle tine. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Here’s a picture of it…

Attachments

• 53-203373-TrencherWireLayerRearB.JPG
    53-203373-TrencherWireLayerRearB.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 882
It took me about 15 minutes to make it & 2 hours later, almost 2000’ of wire was buried /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
The digging tine would tear through the roots that I had to get by in the wooded area & lay the wire down under them. I tried to adjust the height of the boxblade as I went so that the back edge just slid over the ground so that it would actually cover the trench back over and not dig up much ground. I only had to go down 3-6 inches with the wire. I ran the wire through some old garden under the driveway.
Here’s another pic of the setup…

Attachments

• 53-203376-TrencherWireLayerLeftB.JPG
    53-203376-TrencherWireLayerLeftB.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 787
   / Surprised Myself! (wife too) #4  
****Your wife said in an earlier interview that she had suspected for quite some time (since the wedding) that she was married to a gene-e-us, but until now it hadn't been confirmed. **Great tool! The best part: it was all of off-the-shelf stuff that can actually go BACK on the shelf!******When I wuz in the agricultural irrigation bizness on the west coast we shanked in pvc pipe with the tees and risers attached already. We had sort of a slip-form behind the shank of a big ripper pulled by a D-7. I see these cable-laying outfits around the country installing phone lines, and I have to wonder how much buried underground stuff they run into going across country. "What? You mean the WATER LINE comes in through here?"...or.. "What are all these colored wires from?"

<font color=blue>"I have to wonder how much buried underground stuff they run into going across country"
<font color=black>* I hand dug a small area by the drive where the phone line comes back from the road to make sure that I didn't hit it. They put it in when I wasn't there or it would have been in the deeper ditch I had for water & electric...
I will also cross the phone line were I bring the buried fence into the garage & I will do that area with a electric edger. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Surprised Myself! (wife too) #6  
Great job
That is what I call using the old noggin

/ Surprised Myself! (wife too) #7  
Handy piece of work Shade.

I bought a single tine ripper and with it came a home made pipe layer.

Very handy device !!

Cheers

/ Surprised Myself! (wife too) #8  
Ah, yet another variation on the subsoiler line/pipe layer routine. If you mount a post with a right angle extension on your box blade, you can just place a large spool of wire on it, and have an "automatic wire laying device", as the wire runs off the spool, down the tube (preferably mounted on the back end of the blade) into your trench.