My new welder! Miller 211 Project ideas??

/ My new welder! Miller 211 Project ideas?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have always wanted to learn welding. Having read and researched the topic, I bought a Miller MIG 211 today. Due to my limited access to good power and a lack of a good place to weld, I thought this would be a good starter welder that I could grow into. Later, I could always pick up a good used stick for heavier things. I have met a retired welding instructor who will tutor me rather than take classes at a Tech School. I feel if he can show me the basics, I can practice and become at least an adequate welder. Any of you guys have this welder?

What are some projects that a welder this size would handle? Give me some ideas or better yet, some pictures. I plan to start with a good grill guard for my Kubota. When grappling, I have damaged my hood, grill, and lights, and need to improve the factory guard that is not sufficient to prevent sticks from impaling my front.

Any fabrication tips or ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated. I have also seen home made cultipackers built with the cast rollers available from Agri Supply, but my welder may be a little light duty for 3 point attachments. What do you think?

Please show me any projects you have done that could be done with a welder this size.

/ My new welder! Miller 211 Project ideas?? #2  
you should be able to do many projects with that welder, says up to 3/8" in the info I see,

if you have a machine shop or fabricator in your area, see if you can buy some or get some scrap cut off materials, even small short junk, and just start welding it together,

get all different thickness and weld thick to thin, at 90 degrees. but, tee, and so on,

get some practice in before trying to build something,

my projects come from things I think I want or need,

to start off a welder cart, on casters, and will hold a gas bottle, so you can use a inert gas in your welding.

welding table,

stand for a cut off saw, extension stands,

grill guard, could be a good project if your able to weld the thickness OK you want,

Happy welding,

/ My new welder! Miller 211 Project ideas?? #3  
Welding for Dummies was released/published this week.

I am at the same stage as you and just bought a Lincoln 140HD MIG welder. When I stopped by the book store a couple weeks ago to look for a basic instructional book, I was glad to learn that although it was not yet available, it was in the works and scheduled for release.

/ My new welder! Miller 211 Project ideas?? #4  
I would start with fabricating a cart or welding table. Some smaller projects could be tools to assist you while welding. I wouldn't discount your welders capability. I've got the similar welder in a Lincoln and with the right approach and know how you can do most of the 3 pt. attachments as well. When you get to thicker steel then beveled joints and multiple passes will help. All this will be shown to you by the guy that's going to teach you. What you might consider if you don't have a shop with a cement floor is an "all terrain" wheeled cart. Pnuematic tires will help there. I've included some pics of some of my stuff. Pardon the "lack of paint".:D

Attachments

• SD530733.jpg
    SD530733.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • SD530735.jpg
    SD530735.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 691
  • SD530867.jpg
    SD530867.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 971
  • SD530748.jpg
    SD530748.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 1,696
  • chains.jpg
    chains.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 752
  • SD530731.jpg
    SD530731.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 1,645
   / My new welder! Miller 211 Project ideas?? #7  
Nice!! I like the recycled horse shoe element! Stylish.

Hey, thanks Harold! Yes, with 5 horses we end up with a few shoes. I try to find ways to use them when I can. I look forward to seeing some of your projects that you decide to do. You've really got a nice welder there. Once you get going with it you'll be suprised what all you can do with it.:thumbsup: