Lexan or safety glass?

/ Lexan or safety glass? #1  

FarmerGene

Tractor
Case D29
Hi guys, I'm in the process of putting the glass in my cab, just came back from the glass shop and to my surprise Lexan is 25% more money. I guess my question is which is better? advantages, disadvantages what would you go with and why.:thumbsup:

/ Lexan or safety glass? #2  
Lexan will scratch!

/ Lexan or safety glass? #3  
Lexan is 250 times stronger than glass.

/ Lexan or safety glass? #4  
The Lexan that has a hardened surface is highly scratch resistant. As good as glass. In thickness like an eighth is a better choice than glass, which is more brittle that thin. As thickness increases, glass becomes more attractive for price but the weight is high.

/ Lexan or safety glass? #5  
You will be a lot happier with glass. I am assuming that all the glass is flat. If it were me, I would want laminated glass. There is a reason that factory cabs come with glass and it is not because it is less money.

/ Lexan or safety glass? #6  
I built my own cab and went thru the same questions, Trust me and go with glass, yes Lexan is stronger and scratch resistant but glass is your best choice, I am very glad I went with glass.

/ Lexan or safety glass? #7  
Glass :thumbsup:

/ Lexan or safety glass?
You will be a lot happier with glass. I am assuming that all the glass is flat. If it were me, I would want laminated glass. There is a reason that factory cabs come with glass and it is not because it is less money.

Both the windshield and back window are laminated safety glass, this was to be the windows on the doors and cab sides. I decided to order the safety glass for the cab sides, will have to complete the doors to see which will be better for that.:eek:

/ Lexan or safety glass? #9  
Both the windshield and back window are laminated safety glass, this was to be the windows on the doors and cab sides. I decided to order the safety glass for the cab sides, will have to complete the doors to see which will be better for that.:eek:

You might want to go with tempered safety glass for the doors. Tempered glass is a lot tougher and will take more flexing before it breaks. The best would be tempered laminated for the doors, but that would cost a bit more money.

/ Lexan or safety glass? #10  
Is the cab just to keep the elements out, or is it for protection from debris? If I was in a situation where I was protecting myself from flying debris like weed abatement, or if I was in a high vandalism area, I would go with Lexan. The glass will hold up better for visibility, but will be more likely to shatter with the right impact. You will still be protected, but you could be replacing more glass.

Brian