log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #1  

badbowtie

Bronze Member
Tractor
B7100 gear drive
I have a 5 foot 8" heavy duty I beam that I was going to use to make a log splitter for the tractor but trying to figure out the cheapest and best way to make one. I was going to buy a ram and valve and do it that way but funds are low. I also would have to add rear hyd quick connects on the back of my tractor. So I was wondering if I could make my wedge on one end and then on the other use a 20 ton jack. I was looking at the 20 ton air over hyd that harbor freight sells. I have a compressor plenty big enough that would do the job and by next summer try to take the bottle jack off and buy a ram and valve and do it like that. Anybody ever tried this and have any pictures or pros and cons to this.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #2  
I would think the biggest prob using a bottle jack would be lack of cylinder travel

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack
I thought about that issue and remember everytime I borrowed a splitter I only had to penetrate the log about 3"-6" before it would split so I think as long as all my logs are cut right I think I can overcome that problem. I am not also sure if I could have the bottle jack on its side like that.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #4  
The jack should work on its side as long as its full of oil. The only issue i see is a speed related one, bottle jacks are slow.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #5  
The log may split, but also may not split all the way. Some of the stubborn pieces won't cave until the wedge is almost to the end. A nice wedge going the distance will truly separate the halves and leave any attaching 'strings'.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #6  
Rent or borrow a splitter until you can buy or build a proper one. Your plan is a waste of money due to cycle time, cylinder return, stroke length and cost/benefit problems.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #7  
Compressed air is one of the most expensive and inefficcent forms of energy. If you had a sizeable amount of wood to split, it could get costly, not to mention the wear on the compressor.

I agree, wait till you get the money and do it right.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack
I am going to start with saying thanks for all the input.
I have a older b7100 gear drive tractor that I am going to try to use, will my little tractor even work. I am guoing to try some searching and see if I can find pictures of someone adding hydraulics to my tractor. I am going to really start looking around to see what is the best deal on a hyd cyl I can find. What is the common size to use like 3-1/2 or 4" bore by like 16 stoke. I am going to look around and see who is the cheapest place to locate one is.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #9  
The hydraulics on your tractor will make a 3.5 or 4" cylinder VERY slow. Not enough GPM.

Most splitters use a 2 stage pump to greatly increase the cycle times.

Sure you could do it, just keep in mind that it will be slow. (If you are planning on hooking to rear remotes)

Tractor data lists the valve flow for your tractor @ 3GPM. With a 4" x 24" cylinder (typical logsplitter) It would take 1.3 gallons to fill and extend the cylinder. That would be 26 seconds JUST to extend and split ONE peice of wood. Then you will have to wait almost that long to let it retract.

/ log splitter with hyd over air bottle jack #10  
sledge hammer and wedges or splitting mall is probably going to faster than a bottle jack, unless you just want to make a splitter! Here I can rent a splitter for $50 a day.....