What is this electric motor for???

/ What is this electric motor for??? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Not really sure where to post this but.........

I aquired this electric motor out of an old "farm" bar of a buddys.

I assume it must go to some peice of shop equipment like a drill press or????????

It has no nameplate on it. It is a gear reduction motor. And with two wires as far as I can tell it is 120v. At least I know it runs ut I give it 120v.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be for?? It's not very big. Shaft is about 1" diameter and is physically about the size of an aternator.

Attachments

• Oct20_0001.jpg
    Oct20_0001.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 464
  • Oct20_0002.jpg
    Oct20_0002.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 316
  • Oct20_0003.jpg
    Oct20_0003.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 312
   / What is this electric motor for??? #2  
Just guessing but it appears to be lowspeed gear motor about 6:1 reduction looking at the housing. Might be a motor for an old conveyor.

/ What is this electric motor for??? #3  
Looks more like it came out of a washing machine.

/ What is this electric motor for??? #4  
All proper motors have a nameplate . By the size of the lead wires I think it is for the lower voltages 12,24 36 VDC. If it has a commutator then it is DC or a universal that runs on AC.( I.E. your electric drill runs on AC and has brushes.)
Craig Clayton

/ What is this electric motor for??? #5  
Windshield wiper motor? On closer inspection it is too big for a windshielf wiper not with a fan and shaft that big. I think washing machine would be about right.

/ What is this electric motor for???
I will say that I dont think it is from any household appliances. It is a very noisy motor. Has a whinning sound. It sounds almost exactally like running an electric drill. just a little louder. Noisier than any washing machine I have seen.

/ What is this electric motor for??? #7  
By running it with an ammeter you can get an idea of what it will do. What is the final speed of the output shaft? Is it a series motor? Looks like it may be handy to use for something....

Looks like it may be handy to use for something....

That is what I am contemplating myself. Either that or jsut selling it. But it would help to know what it is off of.

I'll go out to the garage now and see if I can gather any more info, like RPM and amps and such.

/ What is this electric motor for??? #9  
I will say that I dont think it is from any household appliances. It is a very noisy motor. Has a whinning sound. It sounds almost exactally like running an electric drill. just a little louder. Noisier than any washing machine I have seen.

If it isn't new, that might be why it's not in the machine. If new it's still a guessing game.

If it isn't new, that might be why it's not in the machine. If new it's still a guessing game.

It's not new. Don't know if it has ever been used, but it is definatally not new.

With no load, it pulls 7 amps @ 120v. So that's about a 1 HP motor.

It has a 4.5/1 reduction that reverses the direction of the shaft. (looking at the shaft, the motor spins CW and the shaft CCW)

The shaft is 7/8" and 2.5" long with two .150" by 5/8 woodruf keys.

It has two brushes in the back (opposite the output shaft) that are 180 degrees appart. You can see where they are in some of the pics. There is actually vent holes over the part that the brushes contact. (sorry it's been too long ang I forgot all the termonoligy. Stator, commutator, rotor?????)

As to how it's wound??? Not sure either without brushing up on electric motors again. But the ohms between the two wires is nil. Only about 1-2 ohms if that helps.