3 point hitch winch frame

/ 3 point hitch winch frame #1  

Window Geek

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota 7610 HST 4WD
After reading Mudfarmer's thread this past Spring (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/165084-cheap-logging-winch.html), I figured I'd try my hand at fabbing a winch frame to attach to the 3PH on my Kubota 7610.

I liked Mudfarmer's idea of powering the winch with a seperate battery since my tractor only has a small dynamo on it. That, along with input from other fine folks here on TBN got me to the original design concept.

First I laid out the Quick Hitch points and then designed the frame using what was available: 3 inch channel and some bits of 2 inch angle.
I wanted to be able to easily run the winch off the 3PH and liked the idea of running it from a remote switch.

Armed with angles from the drawing, I used the power hacksaw at work to cut up the channel at the length and angles needed.

Attachments

• 3 PH winch layout concept.pdf
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,343
   / 3 point hitch winch frame
So now I had a bunch of cut up metal that was a bit rough, but I figured I could easily weld it with my 110V wire welder. :laughing:

It actually went together pretty well, with hardly any grinding to fit it together. I started tacking things together and with a lot of advice and encouragement from 4Shorts, it began to take shape. While the shape was good, the strength wasn't, so I brought it back to work and used an old Lincoln stick welder to get some better penetration on the welds in the heavier walls.

Around this time, 4Shorts was clearly concerned :) and decided to send me a LWH (Lucky Welding Hat). :thumbsup: This item, along with other similar good luck charms, helped get the basic frame in a somewhat put-together state as you can see.

Attachments

• DSCF3220.JPG
    DSCF3220.JPG
    977.4 KB · Views: 669
  • DSCF3221.jpg
    DSCF3221.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 1,174
Another thread on TBN showed some way cool weld-on hooks for chaining stuff and maybe a little skidding. Tractor Supply had the 3PH pins, but I had to visit a heavy equipment shop for the hooks.

Not being happy with the 110V welder, Harbor Freight had a sale on a refurbished 220V 30 amp wire welder and I got it right away. (Honest Honey, I've had that for a long time now!:rolleyes:) The hooks welded up really well and the Lucky Welding Hat was paying off big time!:D

Just look at those welds! They aren't up to mjncad and 4Shorts standards, but the hooks will stand up.

Attachments

• DSCF3280.jpg
    DSCF3280.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 754
  • DSCF3284.jpg
    DSCF3284.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 2,796
  • DSCF3285.jpg
    DSCF3285.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 1,759
I wanted this piece to be multi-functional so I added a 2 inch receiver on the bottom. I chose a bolt-on HF special cause it was fast and allowed access to the winch mounting bolts. Mudfarmer really liked his little 3000# winch, so I went for one of those too. It's been fine for my needs thus far.

The last thing was to add a battery box on the back for a deep cycle battery to run the winch or the sprayer (as soon as I build the bracket that slips into the 2 inch receiver:eek:) At first I thought I over-built the battery holder, but after taking a running start to yank some bushes out, the box stayed in one place and didn't bang around.

Overall this was a fun project. I learned a ton and the whole thing can be set down, chained to a stump, and pull on it's own without having the tractor there. That works well when I need to drop a tree and tension it to a specific direction, but not have it hit the tractor.

I'll probably add casters. It weighs a fair amount!

Thanks to 4Shorts for his help and counsel during the build. That and the Lucky Welding Hat. :cool2:

Attachments

• DSCF3560.jpg
    DSCF3560.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 2,097
  • DSCF3561.jpg
    DSCF3561.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 5,367
  • DSCF3508.jpg
    DSCF3508.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 1,180
   / 3 point hitch winch frame #6  
then they werent pro welders (talented amatures maybe ?)

Thanks guys. Some of my TBN friends have seen my first attempts at welding a couple years ago. I'm getting better at it with every new project. :)

/ 3 point hitch winch frame #8  
I like it!! I have found that running a 12 volt winch that calls for 660 CCA works fine on a 550 CCA battery. I keep the engine running at about half throttle. Currently using a harbor freight 8000# and it yards any logs I have tried it on. (Pulled the tractor back only once when a log hung up).

Haven't put a quick couple on the wiring yet - just pop the hood on the JD 3005 and hook the winch up with salvage jumper cable clamps hooked to he winch by 6 feet of 4 guage welder wire. I keep my winch on a HF 2 inch receiver winch mount so I can move it from one tractor to the other and to my Pickup if needed.

Just hooked a four inch receiver to the base of my boom pole. Just looking for a cliff to dangle it over. Pictures will follow when I have found some use for the latter. Seriously thinking about a hydraulic toplink to make my "crane" more versatile.

Mf

Thanks Mudfarmer! Did you put a roller fairlead on the 8000# winch?
My little 3000# winch will pull some pretty big logs over small distances with no problem, but I'm glad I bought the extended warranty just in case...

How did your little winch hold up?