Bucket Ears

/ Bucket Ears #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
For you guys who have modified your buckets for QA, I wanted to know how you removed the ears from the bucket without destroying the bucket itself. I read a few posts on here about making your own QA setup but I don't recall seeing anything about how the ears were removed. Thanks!

/ Bucket Ears #2  
For you guys who have modified your buckets for QA, I wanted to know how you removed the ears from the bucket without destroying the bucket itself. I read a few posts on here about making your own QA setup but I don't recall seeing anything about how the ears were removed. Thanks!
I have not done it, but a plasma cutter would work -- not leaving a flush to the bucket cut tho. I would go with careful work with cut off wheels and a disc grinder cutting the welds then breaking the ears off.
larry

/ Bucket Ears #3  
Get old blue out and torch away. A grinder can be a welders best friend. Working with metal is easy if you just get over the intimidation {sp} factor. Another thread showed how to make templetes out of cardboard to make mounting brackets. Alot to be learned on here. It is a beautiful fall day in Ohio , and I am going to do some seat time!

/ Bucket Ears
I wondered if I could do it with an angle grinder and cutoff wheels. I hate to completely trash the ears, since I figure they could be used for some other project (somehow) later on. If I could cut through the welds and kind of get between the ears and the bucket itself, maybe that would work?

/ Bucket Ears #5  
I wondered if I could do it with an angle grinder and cutoff wheels. I hate to completely trash the ears, since I figure they could be used for some other project (somehow) later on. If I could cut through the welds and kind of get between the ears and the bucket itself, maybe that would work?

Yes.... but, that would be a lot of work to get them off and a lot of work to clean them up. Also easy to dig too deep into the bucket and weaken or cut a gouge. Most of the precision in the ears is having the holes lined up and straight. It's hard to do when working with fresh clean edged metal, a real bear with metal that is all ragged edged.

/ Bucket Ears #6  
we just fit the quick att to the loader then custom fit them to the attachments its pretty easy to get them to fit

/ Bucket Ears #7  
I removed mine used both a cutting torch, and grinder with cutoff wheel. I did gouge the bucket a little even put a couple of small holes in the back off it. No big deal after removing the mounts I just welded the gouges up and the holes shut and ground the bucket back smooth, then welded the new mounting plates on and painted it. looks good as new and works a lot better. :) I also used the mounts I removed on the the loader side of the SSQA I built to pin it back on the loader. Also I forgot mine had three plug welds in the bottom of the mounts so I just used a large drill bit to drill out the plug welds. The first photo shows the bucket after I removed the mounts and the second shows the mounts I removed reused on the new SSQA. If you have any questions just ask.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/170638-my-attempt-ssqa-kubota.html

Attachments

• Photo0133.jpg
    Photo0133.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 692
  • sadpter4.JPG
    sadpter4.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 601
   / Bucket Ears
I removed mine used both a cutting torch, and grinder with cutoff wheel. I did gouge the bucket a little even put a couple of small holes in the back off it. No big deal after removing the mounts I just welded the gouges up and the holes shut and ground the bucket back smooth, then welded the new mounting plates on and painted it. looks good as new and works a lot better. :) I also used the mounts I removed on the the loader side of the SSQA I built to pin it back on the loader. Also I forgot mine had three plug welds in the bottom of the mounts so I just used a large drill bit to drill out the plug welds. The first photo shows the bucket after I removed the mounts and the second shows the mounts I removed reused on the new SSQA. If you have any questions just ask.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/170638-my-attempt-ssqa-kubota.html

This is what I was looking for. I have the thread bookmarked, now I probably need a better welder than my Lincoln Pro 100! I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for a diagram of your QA with measurements. I'm sure I'm probably not the only one who would!

/ Bucket Ears #9  
I would give the plans to you if I had any, I just used a buddies SSQA pallet fork frame as a "JIG" for the loader side and designed as I went. Plus depending on your loader arm spacing and such as to were to place the mounts from the bucket. Mine happen to workout were the mounts were far enough outside the locking pin mechanisms.
Also Used info from MWB's thread really good info here.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/141029-tractor-side-shuttle-shift-quick.html

Attachments

• universal-attachment-mount-specification-sae_j2513[1].pdf
    512.2 KB · Views: 405
  • quichtach%20plate.jpg
    quichtach%20plate.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 5,675