My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
This isn't finished quite yet. But I thought I would show some pics of my backhoe. I still have to get the cylinders and some hoses. But I basically got everything welded up.

As well as put in some bigger bolts. I just got some small ones in there to hold the thing up.

I also need to make a connector for the cylinder to attach to the bucket.

I'll post more pictures as well as a video of it in action when it's finished.

Chad

Attachments

• tnIMG_0035.JPG
    tnIMG_0035.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 4,487
  • tnIMG_0036.JPG
    tnIMG_0036.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 3,143
  • tnIMG_0037.JPG
    tnIMG_0037.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 2,156
  • tnIMG_0038.JPG
    tnIMG_0038.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 9,959
   / My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #2  
Might want some rear stabilizer feet on there to keep it from flipping over backward when you hit some hard dirt. (unless I just couldn't see them)

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower
Might want some rear stabilizer feet on there to keep it from flipping over backward when you hit some hard dirt. (unless I just couldn't see them)

I'll add some stabilizers to it soon. That's something I don't want " for it To flip over".

I'm planning on doing manual stabilizers and then later make some hydraulic ones. I'm also now thinking of adding a front bucket to it. A friend of mine has a loader bucket that I might buy from him and rig it on the front.

Also was gonna buy a hydraulic tank, and a friend brought one over and gave it to me.

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #4  
I'm wondering what you are going to run the hydraulics with? How are you going to set all that up?

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #5  
Did you strengthen the mower framer?

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower
I'm wondering what you are going to run the hydraulics with? How are you going to set all that up?

I'm gonna mount the hydraulic pump on the frame of the mower and run the pump off the deck pulley. So the v-twin motor that runs the mower will be running the hydraulic pump.

I don't have the deck to the mower anymore so I won't be mowing with it. So I figure the deck pulley will be perfect.

I'm gonna mount the hydraulic fluid tank on the front so that way they'll be some extra weight on the front.

Did you strengthen the mower framer?

I haven't done that yet. But I was thinking about it.

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #7  
Interesting build. Have thought of something like this before, myself. Keep us updated.

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #8  
Neat way to escape jamming the foot on the shovel and the back break from the lifting! I like it!!

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #9  
I haven't done that yet. But I was thinking about it.

Impressive work so far!

I think that you could end up with a pretzel if you do not strengthen the frame. Especially if you put a bucket on the front.

You might consider installing four stabilisers, two at the front and two at the back. I would give them sharp feet. The backhoe will be pulling against the stabilisers. When the front of the bucket pushes into the soil it places stress on the front axle or front bucket. When you pull the bucket out with the spoils it places stress on the rear axle or stabilisers. Pulling the bucket forward will likely drag the mower backward, sharp feet on the stabilisers may help hold it in place.

/ My homemade backhoe made from a riding mower #10  
Hi all,

I am thinking that the bucket might need some teeth, to help you dig through that tough top soil. You might want to weld some CAT 6/7? washers on either side of the bolts to prevent shearing the square tubing from the force the hydralics.

~Kevin