Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Default Re: Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?

I've found that old truck chains are perfect to start with, even if you have to lengthen the cross bars. Most of us don't really need skidder traction.....

I've mentioned it in other threads but will again here. I get my used chains from our local town highway department for free in the springtime. They keep them on all winter and wear occurs when the roads are clear, so they make new ones every year.

Tractor
    Challenger 285b

As promised, here's some pic's of what I came up with. I've also included a pic of my rolling vise that is set up in an engine stand. I used the vise to bend the 3/8 round stock for the loops and any other items that needed clamping like closing links to weld. I can move the vise out to were the work is. These are all truck chains and the fronts were about two hundred feet apart on the highway and brand new, galvanised to boot. The rears is where I put the time in and I plucked only the best parts for the build. I put as many cam tightners as I could.

I gained traction with these, but not to much as I would rather have some give in the tires rather than break the tractor.

Ken and Family
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?-tractor-chains-front.jpg   Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?-tractor-chains-rear.jpg   Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?-tractor-chains-tread.jpg   Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?-rolling-vise.jpg  
    Ken and family
    Mt. Rose HWY, Reno NV.
    Public lands are for public use.

Tractor
    Many in the past, Today, a Kubota M59, JD530, and 2 Yanmars - 16 & 33 hp

Quote Originally Posted by HSSC View Post
    Work was real slow and money was tight. I had seen a long handled chain tool in my research.

First on the list was the chain tool witch I purchased at the Peterbuilt dealer

Enjoyed your pictures. I've built a several sets of chains, but never welded any, I just use squeeze connectors and haven't had a problem with those. For a tool I use a two foot steel bar with one tapered end, another with a spoon end, a big vise, and a hacksaw. I make them roughly right and then do a final fit after trying them on the tire. I really think that homemade ones are better than anything that can be bought. They certainly fit better.

What I'm wondering is about that chain tool you got from Peterbuilt. Don't think I've ever seen a dedicated chain tool. What's it look like?
    rScotty

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade

As promised, here's some pic's of what I came up with. I've also included a pic of my rolling vise that is set up in an engine stand. I used the vise to bend the 3/8 round stock for the loops and any other items that needed clamping like closing links to weld. I can move the vise out to were the work is. These are all truck chains and the fronts were about two hundred feet apart on the highway and brand new, galvanised to boot. The rears is where I put the time in and I plucked only the best parts for the build. I put as many cam tightners as I could.

I gained traction with these, but not to much as I would rather have some give in the tires rather than break the tractor.

Ken and Family
    Hey Ken,
    thanks for the pic's they help a lot. After looking online etc for chains I've decided to make my own.. the one question I have is the "twisted link" cross chains.. did you just twist your own to make them ... It looks to me like you used the same side chain and just twisted them with your vise ... do I have that right?

I called my local DOT garage and they acted like I was insane asking for their old chains.. almost like I pay their salary or something... pfff!!

Thusly I'm going to buy bulk chain and start bending... I feel the testosterone increasing just thinking about it.

tractor on
    ================================================== ===
    Kioti DK40SE HST
    Our 2nd Amendment RIGHT comes from God and protects all the others!
    ================================================== ===

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23, Craftsman Mower

I worked in the car business and picked up a lot of free chains that were left in the trunk of trade-ins... also, chains seems to be something leave behind when moving... my brother, a broker is always having to get rid of someone... even free at garage sales.

If you are willing to get your hands dirty the supply of used chains should be limitless.

Ken and Family
    By adding that ring to the center you've solved the problem of the cross links being too short on Truck chains. Instead of using 3/8 round bar for the rings it was previously posted that a coil spring from a car can be used.

CowwFace even if you can't find a set of used truck chains Tirechains.com sells them for around $125. I would think if you have a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel and a welder you could make a set like HSSC has done. I'm sure you could get a couple of springs from a junk yard for cheap. If it still doesn't give you enough traction you could weld some grouser bar to the rings.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Foton FT254

My Turn!!

I too have been playing in the workshop, and have now finished the chains for the rear wheels, with the front ones about 50% done.

Old Highway agency chains aren't available here, I didn't want simple Ladder Chains, and it would appear that my wheels are FAR smaller than your Ken!

And... My time - despite what others may claim - is free if what I'm doing is considered to be having fun.

So... Here's what I came up with, and the link below is to the full photo album with captions that describe each step. (Feel free to poke about at other photo albums if you fancy)

The Whole photo album (so far) can be found here Picasa Web Albums - Nick - Tractor Chains
    4 Acres, an 1890 Farmhouse and a Foton 254 + bits

I didn't have the spare time so I just bought a set of Tellefsdal Supers from a local dealer. Nick it looks like you made pretty much the same thing, nice.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Foton FT254

I reckon there's about 7 hour's work in the rears, and there will be 4 or so in the fronts.
    Cost of materials is probably $150, but then again, I'm sure the chain is FAR cheaper in the USA..

How much (if you don't mind me asking) did you pay for the Supers?

By the way, I guarantee that the chains I've made aren't going to have anything *like* the longevity that your Tellefsdals will have...
    4 Acres, an 1890 Farmhouse and a Foton 254 + bits

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast