Multi-Purpose Ballast

/ Multi-Purpose Ballast #1  

dsails380

Tractor
MF GC2410
Rather than use the backhoe on my GC2410 for ballast, I built a ballast box for use with the FEL and quick hitch snow blower. What's unique about this is I can move each of the 100lb cement blocks to my aerator and back as needed. I drilled a hole and drove a length of rebar through each block and welded a flat washer to the bottom and a lifting eye to the top. I can now use a chain attached to the FEL to easily move the blocks back an forth instead of wrestling them by hand. The ballast box give me a smaller footprint allowing me to get into tighter spots if needed. I'm thinking the total ballast box weight is about 600 lb.

Attachments

• Ballast Box.JPG
    Ballast Box.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Ballast Box (2).JPG
    Ballast Box (2).JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Ballast Box (3).JPG
    Ballast Box (3).JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 267
   / Multi-Purpose Ballast #2  
Nice build! I really like the casters for moving it when off the tractor. The ability to use the weights on multiple attachments shows some good planning took place too...

DanK

/ Multi-Purpose Ballast #4  
Easy to hitch and store..nice job.

/ Multi-Purpose Ballast #5  
Great work. I might make something similar but on a smaller scale for my mini backhoe. :thumbsup:

Chad

/ Multi-Purpose Ballast
Thanks guys. The casters are 5" that I picked up at harbor freight and work fine unless you need to change direction. There's no ball bearings in the swivel, so I have to jack it up and rotate the casters by hand. Kind of a PITA, so I'll be replacing them, but for now, it works.
I used Tractor Supply M-F red with the enamel hardener to paint this thing and so far seems to be pretty durable. I bought a cheep spray gun from harbor freight ($20) and was able to get a nice gloss. At the same time, I also sprayed a '84 snapper mower. It sure looks a lot better now. Next summer I think I'll paint the chipper and roller.
Dave