Yet Another DIY Canopy

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy #1  

Sherweld

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100
The wish list for my beloved Kubota has always included a canopy, but I never could quite bring myself to part with the cash required for a commercial one.

While digging through my keen junk looking for something else, I ran across a sign blank acquired somewhere in my long and distant past ...... so bonus!, here we go ..........
Starting with a 3'x5' aluminum sign blank. Cut down to 3'x46" using the 3'x14" piece cut apart to make the two tapered side pieces. All fasteners SS bolts. The rest of the various parts aluminum to keep the weight and maintenance to a minimum, as well as making it as sturdy as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4957.jpg
    IMG_4957.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 5,482
  • IMG_4961.jpg
    IMG_4961.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 1,082
  • IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 2,022
  • IMG_4959.jpg
    IMG_4959.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 1,894
  • IMG_4958 (2).jpg
    IMG_4958 (2).jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 1,530
   / Yet Another DIY Canopy #2  
Sherweld, the canopy looks good, nice job. I like that it is made out of aluminum so corrosion won't be an issue and that you put an arc in the top reduce vibration. You may find that you need to add some sort of sound deadener to the underside to reduce reflected noise.

Good job
DanK

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy #3  
Interesting that you should just post this as I JUST asked the group (under the safety title) for advice on a "falling limb/branch deflector".

I had wondered WHAT to make it with, HOW to attach it etc.
I would think that this aluminum IF SUPPORTED would be strong enough to deflect most med size limbs falling off dead trees. (I'll be /hoggingtrails thru hardwood/pine woods) Maybe rod braces going up to the front of your canopy (if it wouldn't block your access) Anyone have more ideas here?
The ideas you share might save my noodle. Thanks:confused2:

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy #4  
Nice job. Did y'all ever use to watch that TV program, " The Flying Nun"?

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy #6  
That rear curved portion behind the ROPS sure looks like a wing rib?!

Mike

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy
That rear curved portion behind the ROPS sure looks like a wing rib?!
Nope..... Just some 3/4"x2 1/2" alum angle salvaged from some retired concrete forms. While cutting the curves, decided to get fancy with the hole saw just in case I wanted to hang something there someday, or maybe just thought it might fool people into thinking that I knew what I was doing.

Also not entirely visible is a "plastic lumber" 2"x4" piece cut to the roof curve, and with a couple of holes which nest over the top center roll bar bolt heads, which then "supports" the roof panel.

I was planning some heavier parts and pieces in this structure, but as I was putting things together I was surprised a how sturdy it turned out.

I guess if I was depending on it as a "hard hat" for larger limbs and such, I would consider supports on the front, perhaps down to the front end loader towers. In my thinking, this would be both for the connection of the canopy to the roll bar, and the connection of the roll bar to the tractor. A large limb down on the front end of an unsupported canopy would put quite a load on the bolts and tractor castings where the roll bar attaches.

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy #8  
Very nice looking job. You'll really appreciate it when working out in the sun.

/ Yet Another DIY Canopy #9  
This reminds me of the "Flying Nun"... :2cents: I like it... canopy is on my list... but way down on my list :p