Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses?

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #21  
Jcliburn, I would like to see how your dads looks. I am interested in doing the same. Although the way you did it may work for me. I need to put equipment under it.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #22  
Sorry for the delay. Here are some shots of my Dad's shed. Note that the truss legs have to be mounted on opposite sides of the posts; for example, in the first pic, the near truss is mounted on the front face of the post, while the far truss is mounted on the rear face. It's because of the way his trusses were manufactured.

Also note the ground underneath his shed isn't level, but he compensated for this by simply adding a block on the face of each post, then resting each truss on the block while bolting it to the post. The blocks could be removed now, but there's no real reason to do that.

I have other photos of his shed as well, so if there's a particular view you need, let me know and I'll see if I have what you're looking for.

Jay

Attachments

• DSC_0376-1.jpg
    DSC_0376-1.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 2,392
  • DSC_0378-1.jpg
    DSC_0378-1.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 2,537
  • DSC_0379-1.jpg
    DSC_0379-1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 3,871
  • DSC_0391-1.jpg
    DSC_0391-1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 5,772
   / Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #23  
Thanks! I'll let you know. Looks good.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #24  
My Brothers barn is 40x160 and he used similar trusses. His trusses where new, not recycled. Only difference in how is is framed than those in the pics above is that his uses metal tie bars about half way down each truss to keep the trusses from collapsing under their own weight. In the pics above, I dont see whats keeping the poles from spreading and the roof from falling in on itself

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #25  
I know I am late to the thread and am very new to this site. But, I have been given the opertunity to purchase some 40' steel trusses from and old chicken house. The trusses are in good shape and have the steel straight legs. I am looking at purchaseing a few to make a nice pole barn. My only delima is how to get them down from the old chicken house. The do split in the middle and bolt to the concrete floor. However, I do not have any big equipment to get it down. Is there a trick I can use to get these trusses down. The building has already been stripped of all sheet metal. Any advice would help me out a ton.

philpott50

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #26  
With out a picture, I wont even speculate on the best way to take them down. How high are they? How heavy are they?, what kind of equipment do you have to work with? More than one way to skin a cat, but you cant skin it if you dont see it.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #27  
Unfortunately I am out of state right now and can not get a picture of them. I do know it is a standard hen house. The trusses are made by Adam Trusses. The sides are approximately 6' high. Not sure on the height at the peak. I do not have much equipment if any. I have the basic hand tools for the bolts and different things. I do have access to some scaffolding. I am not sure if any of this was helpful or not.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #28  
Not the same as chicken barns here by far but the barns here have poor snowload rating vs normal people buildings. If they are spaced on 4 ft centres here, its wise to reduce to 2 ft before putting anything of value inside.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #29  
Hi All,

This is my first post on Tractorbynet. I found some Chicken House trusses near us for sale that I am going to look at later today.

36 ft. span trusses with 7 ft. downleg $135.00 per pair
40 ft. span trusses with 9 ft. 6 in. downleg, ( 2.6 feet newly added downleg and ft. plate) - $225.00 per pair
Tin - 23 ft. long, 36 inch coverage - $18.00 per sheet

Kudos to jcliburn and Keller for sharing the photos of your barn builds. I have been looking at the kits for sale and package deals but having seen what you have done with Chicken house truses, that is the path I am going to take. I have a JD 6115D with H310 Loader and Keller's Bobcat crane solution is what I am going to use to erect the trusses.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Last edited: