Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses?

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I have the opportunity to purchase used chicken house trusses with the side uprights. I am sure that someone here has used them ... What should be some concerns if any?

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #2  
Just make sure what spacing they were made for. Most I have seen were made for 4' spacing, but yours could be different. Aaron

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses?
Just make sure what spacing they were made for. Most I have seen were made for 4' spacing, but yours could be different. Aaron

Thank you ... I was thinking about 8' ... I will ask what spacing they where orginally.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #4  
With trusses, I'd be most concerned about any sign of moisture and related decay of the wood (in addition to getting a reading on the truss design for your snow and weight loads). If these trusses were in a building where there was roof leakage, or worse yet stored outside for any period of time, then early stages of decay may render them pretty useless because of strength loss in the wood.
Often see trusses just stacked outside waiting to be used, and then waiting to be sold. Any sign of water damage would be a no-buy sign for me.

With trusses, I'd be most concerned about any sign of moisture and related decay of the wood (in addition to getting a reading on the truss design for your snow and weight loads). If these trusses were in a building where there was roof leakage, or worse yet stored outside for any period of time, then early stages of decay may render them pretty useless because of strength loss in the wood.
Often see trusses just stacked outside waiting to be used, and then waiting to be sold. Any sign of water damage would be a no-buy sign for me.

Sorry. I should have been clear ... Chicken house trusses are all metal.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #6  
Then you can forget what I said, unless it might help others who also are thinking wood. :)

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #7  
I built a 40x40 (ish) pole barn with used chicken house trusses a couple of years ago. I bought 5 trusses, 2x6 treated purlins, and a boatload of 3'x23' sections of metal roofing -- all from the dismantled chicken house. Total cost for materials was $1500.

The trusses have a 40 foot span, and I put them on 9'6" centers. The original spacing was 10' centers.

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #8  
Some pics of the aforementioned chicken house pole barn.

Attachments

• shed-side.jpg
    shed-side.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 6,656
  • ryegrass.jpg
    ryegrass.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 2,266
  • truss-tops.jpg
    truss-tops.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 7,198
I built a 40x40 (ish) pole barn with used chicken house trusses a couple of years ago. I bought 5 trusses, 2x6 treated purlins, and a boatload of 3'x23' sections of metal roofing -- all from the dismantled chicken house. Total cost for materials was $1500.

The trusses have a 40 foot span, and I put them on 9'6" centers. The original spacing was 10' centers.

Thats nice ... as well a nice price!!

/ Anyone experienced with Chicken House Trusses? #10  

Please tell me size of steel angle used for top & bottom chords of the trusses. Thanks.