building a arch gate

/ building a arch gate #1  

Regneufeld

gate.jpg

I am going to build a gate like this. Being the top arch flat iron is going to be a different length the one below it, I am trying to picture how to simply drill all the holes first then slide the round bar down through them and weld it up. The top holes would be on an angle but maybe just drilling them straight and reaming them after might be ok. Aligning those holes is much easier on paper then in real life I'm thinking

/ building a arch gate #2  
I would think the way to do this is to build the gate first without the arch, then with the arches bent lay them out on the gate and mark where the holes go. You might be able to jig up your drill to get the correct angle at the same time.

Looks nice and good luck.

/ building a arch gate #3  
Bend the arch out thin wood lay out pickets on floor mark holes. Lay on metal
and transfer holes to flat metal. Drill holes 1/8 to1/4 bigger that would compensate for arch angle.

/ building a arch gate #4  
I would think the way to do this is to build the gate first without the arch, then with the arches bent lay them out on the gate and mark where the holes go. You might be able to jig up your drill to get the correct angle at the same time.

Looks nice and good luck.

I agree, you can drill the holes a little bigger and weld in the gap.

/ building a arch gate #5  
Being the top arch flat iron is going to be a different length the one below it, I am trying to picture how to simply drill all the holes first then slide the round bar down through them and weld it up.

Why drill any holes at all? That's the hardest part of the project, it seems
to me.

Each vertical round bar can be cut into 3 segments, aligned, then welded.
Tacked first, each section would be easy to redo.

/ building a arch gate #6  
Each vertical round bar can be cut into 3 segments, aligned, then welded.
Tacked first, each section would be easy to redo.

IMHO thats easer said than done. From my experience I think it will be easer and better looking to keep the uprights in one piece.

/ building a arch gate #7  
I wouldn't drill holes in the arch.

Drill holes in the top rail and tack the stiles and rails square. Put the rods through the top rail holes and tack weld to the bottom rail. Place the edge of the arch on the rods positioned correctly for the long left/right stile and the right/left stile/post. Mark the rods using the arch as the guide and cut the rods. But weld the rods to the bottom of the arch.

Last edited:
   / building a arch gate #8  
I don't know what you drew it in.
I usually use cadd and measure with the program.
I would lay it out on paper and figure a right triangle and calculate the hypotenuse drill holes on that center but drill them oversize and align them and fill with weld.

The dimension you want looks like a cord of a circle.
Google that and see if you cand find a formula.

tom

/ building a arch gate
IMHO thats easer said than done. From my experience I think it will be easer and better looking to keep the uprights in one piece.

Yes that is what I thought. keeping those rods in piece I believe is key to a nice look. get some of the 3 segments out of alignment and it will look really bad.

Good ideas and being that I work with wood as a living making a template out of light plywood should have been something I thought of. My thought was trying to find a formula to use measurements but that would have to assume I am going to make the perfect arch.
So with that I think it will be get it close and make bigger holes then fix the mess with weld and grinder :laughing:

One more week to work then I get to take the time to get this project done.

/ building a arch gate #10  

If you don't trust your eye, then you make a jig and clamp it. Most things
are easier said than done, like drilling large holes in thick steel. Jigs are
easily made of wood, then tossed after you are done. The jig would be
placed and clamped for each vertical.