small backhoe

/ small backhoe #1  

pnfz

just finished building a small backhoe for my garden tractor, i think the design can be scaled up for compact tractors. it's less than 350lbs, has dual hydraulics for simultaneous cylinder action, digs 5' deep, 8' reach, hydraulic stabilizers that spread to 7'-6" and an integral oil reservoir in the frame.

Attachments

• 53-210171-hoe7.jpg
    53-210171-hoe7.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 5,558
   / small backhoe #2  
PNFZ,

looks like a great accomplishment!

Three cylinders between the tractor and the bucket! Interesting. Don't think I've seen more than two before...but I don't know much /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks for sharing your work with us. How does it dig?

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ small backhoe #3  
Very, very nice. Looks clean. Did you design it yourself or purchase plans?

/ small backhoe
thanks, i designed it myself. i wanted a hoe that was light enough to use on the garden tractor and could curl up tight enough for good weight distribution during transport. that out board slew cylinder lets me mount the hoe as close as i want to the tractor and gives me 170 deg. boom rotation.

it works great!

~ Paul

Attachments

• 53-210187-hoe3.jpg
    53-210187-hoe3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,446
   / small backhoe #6  
Paul,
Showed the wife, she said is that a cub cadet hoe? It looks like an original equipment part! Excellent job...wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the loader also /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ small backhoe #7  
I've got a pretty good understanding of how the boom, dipperstick, bucket work and are assembled. But how does the pivot left to right work and how is it assembled? I see the cylinder that pivots it. I've seen a CAD plans under construction. There is a pin in a tube that acts as the bearing. I guesss that would be where significant loads would be encountered. Do you have any close-ups of that area? It would be greatly appreciated. Again, great looking hoe. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ small backhoe #8  
That's a great looking backhoe! Does it run off the tractor hydraulics or have its own pump. I think you should scale it up, say to John Deere 4310 size!!

/ small backhoe
it would run off tractor hydraulics, if i had 'em.
i ended up extending the hydro output shaft for a rear PTO to belt drive a dedicated pump for the hoe.
a single pump could have run both loader and hoe, but i think the plumbing is simpler this way.

i don't think it would take much to scale up, it's a fairly simple design.

~ Paul