PTO powered bandmill

/ PTO powered bandmill #11  
What is the layout configuration that you are thinking about for the tractor PTO and horizontal cutting bandsaw?

By this I mean would the log be parallel to the rear axle of the tractor or would the log be perpendicular to the tractor rear axle?

When you say stationary, do you mean that the sawmill will only be operated in one location or that the sawmill will be portable and operated in different locations but that once it is setup the bandsaw will be stationary?

/ PTO powered bandmill
The log will move parallel to the rear axle of the tractor. I would mount a right angle gearbox on the saw carriage. I intend the mill to be used just at my home, possibly in an open shed. (built from home milled lumber of course)

/ PTO powered bandmill #13  
Do you have a sketch of what you have in mind?

Have you operated a bandmill sawing logs, or a circular mill sawing logs?

Been around a Belsaw mill or operated one?

Just getting an idea where you are at. Wish you well with this plan.

/ PTO powered bandmill
Here is a quick AutoCAD of where I'm at. I just a quick line trim and turned off hidden lines to give a sense of where things are. Lots of details are missing! The log would ride on the carriage towards us. The tractor would be stationed on the left and plug into the gearbox shown. The operator, log loading and board removing would happen on the right.

Attachments

• bandsaw-Model.jpg
    bandsaw-Model.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 847
   / PTO powered bandmill #15  
If I actually had any trees worth sawing, I would definitely buy a swing-blade mill, such as the Lucas sold by Baileys. This is the type of mill that uses a ~16 inch diameter circular saw blade, and the blade can swing 90 degrees. So the husk (engine and gearbox and blade assembly) travels down the track one direction, then the blade swings 90 degrees, and the husk returns up the track. Each round trip produces one plank. One person operation, but productive enough to keep three guys busy. They are WAY more productive than bandmills of the same horsepower, very accurate (no wavy boards due to heating up and expanding bandssaw blades), and of course the circular blade is tougher than the bands so you spend no time changing bands that dull or overheat. The blades are about $150 each, have five giant carbide teeth, can be sharpened right on the machine with the included sharpener which also sharpens your chainsaw, are completely rebuildable (all new teeth brazed on) for about $50, and can last a lifetime. I have run this mill for days at a time, and seen bandmills run, and there is no comparison in simplicity and productivity (how does 900 board-feet per hour sound!?). They are available used for around $5500, on an on-line sawmill exchange website which I can't seem to find right now. Or new from Baileysonline.com of course, for about twice that.
Bailey's - Complete 6" Lucas Model 618 Portable Sawmill Package
Be sure to watch that first video on that page, it says it all.

/ PTO powered bandmill #16  
The problem I see is to move the log will require sturdy carriage and rails of twice the length of the log. You will need quite large space in your shed. You will be better of it the log is stationary and the band saw moves. You will spend less material if you install shaft (in example square tube or rod) long as the mill than build beefy carriage. At 540 rpm imbalance shouldn't be big problem. Also doing it this way the mill will not have to be positioned parallel to rear axle but in line with PTO shaft. I think it would simplify the saw especially if the band runs vertically. To move the saw along the log I would use electric winch (in example made of an electric drill) because its speed is easily adjustable.

/ PTO powered bandmill #17  
I built a stationary mill a few years back(linn mill)its a160 an i power it with a 12 hp motor works great.good luck with your project.I am cutting lumber for a boyscout camp I am building on our property an also timber for a timber frame addition ill be adding to our home.
My mill pictures by falcon6667 - Photobucket
Army Grunt

/ PTO powered bandmill #18  
Here is a quick AutoCAD of where I'm at. I just a quick line trim and turned off hidden lines to give a sense of where things are. Lots of details are missing! The log would ride on the carriage towards us. The tractor would be stationed on the left and plug into the gearbox shown. The operator, log loading and board removing would happen on the right.

Looking like a good basic plan.
Wondering about your previous experience with sawing logs, with log carriages, and with bandsaws. Any hint for us? :)

/ PTO powered bandmill
Looking like a good basic plan.
Wondering about your previous experience with sawing logs, with log carriages, and with bandsaws. Any hint for us? :)

None. Well, I've milled a bit of lumber with a chainsaw following a 2x4. I also have a 5' sled for my woodworking bandsaw that I've used to mill lumber up to 12" diameter or so. We're looking to scale up a bit!

/ PTO powered bandmill #20  
Then my advice would to at least get more information/experience/knowledge about the carriage systems used on circular sawmills. More info on what makes a bandmill tick-tock would be a good investment as well. Just so you don't have to reinvent the "wheel".

I think your plan has merit. But I can see some headaches too. But you may have all that covered in your final plan.