Skid Steer Plans

/ Skid Steer Plans #1  

Martyr

Hi everyone I've been searching for some time now for a good set of skid steer plans but they seem to be very elusive at being found.

Before coming to this site I had seen a home build skid steer at this site

Mini Skid Steer

but the downside to these plans is the guy doesn't seem to forthcoming at parting with a set of plans only if you purchase the full kit but there lies a problem I cannot justify purchasing steel from Canada and shipping it to the UK when I can buy same amount of steel cheaper here and do all the cutting myself.

I emailed him over the plans got back to me sometime later asked some more question never got back to me so clearly that's out the window.

Bit more searching found this site and the link to the following thread below found not only very interesting but also a good size machine

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/39418-home-built-skid-loader.html

What I like about Chrisk's machine is it uses a 4 cylinder engine up against the other machine which only uses a single cylinder engine (I like a bit of poke behind me when I'm using machinery).

I'm still searching as I would like to built one as there's far more satisfaction using equipment that you've built than bought stuff.

Mart

/ Skid Steer Plans #2  
First off, :welcome: to TBN! Glad to have you on board.:thumbsup: This project sounds very interesting. With the engine, i would suggest a small Diesel engine, maybe salvaged from a compact tractor. That will provide the power and torque needed to power the skid steer and more. You will need hydraulic motors for the wheels and a good hydraulic pump to power it all. What type of unit do you want to build? A walk behind or ride on? With the specs, is there any way for you to access a skid steer dealer, ex. Bobcat? If you can, you could probably get the measurements to roughly estimate the size and costs necessary to complete your project. I am looking forward to seeing your project unfold. :thumbsup:

/ Skid Steer Plans #3  
   / Skid Steer Plans #4  
You may be able to find one of the older Bobcats, I think they were called Melroe or something close to that. They had a Wisconsin engine. You might be able to find a salvage unit and get the drive train out of it. Just a thought.

/ Skid Steer Plans #5  
You may be able to find one of the older Bobcats, I think they were called Melroe or something close to that. They had a Wisconsin engine. You might be able to find a salvage unit and get the drive train out of it. Just a thought.

that's a really good idea. Something like the 610, that was about the size of a smaller skid steer so it would work. But i am not sure if Melroe Bobcat was in Europe at the time since it was an American based company.

/ Skid Steer Plans #6  
I used to own a Bobcat 600 and believe me, it wouldn't be easy to take the drive train out of one of these. The engine drives a jack shaft via a snowmobile clutch setup, then on each side of the jack shaft are 2 chain driven wet clutches that make the wheels go forward, backward, and brake. Then it has large chain reduction to the wheels. You'd be time and money ahead to just fix the Bobcat then try to rob the drive train. If I'd try to build a skid steer I'd go all hydrualic drive. One hydrostatic pump powering a drive motor for each side. It would cost more up front, but it would be a simpler, cleaner machine and I believe it would work better. Just my 2 cents.

/ Skid Steer Plans
Hi everyone

Looking how skid systems work on the old style machines whether it's chain or belt drive or shaft driven I think hydrostatic would have to be the way to go but as most will know it won't be cheap.

I'd looked at plans from Cad plans site and even though they look good and seen a couple of Cad plan built units on Youtube the articulated setup is far to big a vehicle in the sense of turning circle to that of a skid steer virtually zero turn but they seem to be quite expensive to purchase since you have to build it yourself as some others have said about them.

There's a lot of ideas out there and even more off this site from what I've seen upto now and the input from you guys over this matter has been appreciated.

Engine wise I already have a couple of spare 1.9L diesel units from some of my old trucks lying around which would be ideal and the nice thing about a liquid cooled unit is I could have a heater in the cab.

Mart

/ Skid Steer Plans #8  
My Case 1845C has a hydro pump hooked direct to the motor. The tires on each saide are chain drive with a single hydraulic drive motor. Its is old enuf so it doesnt not have alot of electronics in it but it has miles hydraulic hoses.

Building things is fun but a project like this would be a ton of work and cost more than you could go out and buy a used skid steer for and turn it into a rebuild project.
I payed $9000 for my 1845C and it is a total workhorse.

Construction Equipment For Sale at MachineryTrader.com: Dozers, Scrapers, Wheel Loaders, Excavators, Motor Graders, Caterpillar, Komatsu, Case, John Deere, Volvo