hay wagon floor build

/ hay wagon floor build #1  

chrisdvorak

Gold Member
Tractor
too many
   / hay wagon floor build #2  
2 -4 x 4 beams 8 ft long with 2 x 6 or 2 x8 4 ft long running across. Then put a 1 x4 down each side. Ken Sweet

/ hay wagon floor build #3  
would the 2x6's running across be on edge or laying flat? also at what spacing?

-thanks chris

Laying flat with maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch spacing between for water and dirt to fall through. Ken Sweet

/ hay wagon floor build
that seems very simple to make, but would it be strong enough on the ends of the 2x6's?

/ hay wagon floor build
the only reason that I questioned the strength is because I saw these pictures from another thread that looks a lot more complicated, and didn't know if there were any big advantages to that slightly more complicated design.

Attachments

• Wagon1.jpg
    Wagon1.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 6,229
  • Wagon4.jpg
    Wagon4.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 1,502
   / hay wagon floor build #8  
the only reason that I questioned the strength is because I saw these pictures from another thread that looks a lot more complicated, and didn't know if there were any big advantages to that slightly more complicated design.

We used to build them that way about 15-20 years ago. Personal preference, I guess? Ken Sweet

/ hay wagon floor build #9  
That is the same running gear that I bought years ago. I used a 9 foot long 2X6 for the runners on mine, then laid 54 inch 2X4 stretchers across them and 5/4 decking for a floor.

Attachments

• for sale 005-1 [].jpg
    for sale 005-1 [].jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 627
  • for sale 003-1 [].jpg
    for sale 003-1 [].jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 521
  • for sale 004-1 [].jpg
    for sale 004-1 [].jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 700
   / hay wagon floor build
I've seen the floor boards laid vertical and horizontal, is it only personal preference or is one way stronger than the other?