Easy Forks

/ Easy Forks #1  

rjmack

Platinum Member
Tractor
GC2410
here is a scaleable, easy to build, plan for bucket forks. The only bucket mods are one small piece welded on the back side.

i built a set, that work good on a gc2410, out of 1 1/2 x .125 hss and 3/8 x 3 flat bar.

Attachments

• forks-Layout3.jpg
    forks-Layout3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,906
  • GC2410 Bucket-Model.jpg
    GC2410 Bucket-Model.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,364
   / Easy Forks #2  
The attachment method looks very good and solid with the chain tensioned with the threaded rod. the big issue is what to make the forks out of, something that would hold up to rigors of fork use.

jb.

/ Easy Forks
The attachment method looks very good and solid with the chain tensioned with the threaded rod. the big issue is what to make the forks out of, something that would hold up to rigors of fork use.

those materials are fine for a scut like my gc2410. btw, there is a chain bracket on each side of the bucket.

the flatbar is the same thickness as the cutting edge on the bucket, so there is one scale guide. far as the hss, a person could bump that up in 1/16 wall thickness increments, or 1/2" increments in cross section size relative to the lifting power of the loader or the application.

weight is an issue with the smaller machines and i wouldn't go any thicker/larger for those. even with the listed materials these are fairly heavy and reduce the overall lifting capacity accordingly. hss is pretty structurally strong stuff, much stronger than pipe or angle iron.

it might not be a bad idea to figure the running weight of the materials and then design the unit to weigh no more than a certain percentage of lifting capacity of whatever loader it is going on.

that small square image at the bottom of the threaded rod is a piece of keystock to keep the rod square to the mounting plate. i don't have one of those on the prototype and the rod gets pulled crooked by the chain.

there may be a better way to connect the bottom of the chains to the tubing, but the way shown is quick and easy.

the bevel being on the bottom side of the fork sometimes makes it a little bit tougher to pick things up, but it prevents a fork or two from heading south on their own accord. again, you can build the bevel either way depending on your application.

/ Easy Forks #4  
Sounds like you got it pretty well figured out, I see your a welder, that helps.

So you built yours with all those tines/forks? more like a brush handler, but I guess no reason it couldn't be used with pallets.
The more forks would spread the weight, reducing the load on any one.

Would also be good for sifting through gravel/fill piles getting out the bigger clunkers.

JB.

/ Easy Forks
So you built yours with all those tines/forks? more like a brush handler, but I guess no reason it couldn't be used with pallets.
The more forks would spread the weight, reducing the load on any one.

yes, i built this last summer. there was some interest in the dimensions, so i thought it would be better just to sketch it out and then the design could be used on anything. i'm quite happy with it. depending on how long the pile has been sitting and 'chunked up', it works good moving snow too... doesn't matter if the bucket packs up or not.

far as using it for pallets, if you have a standard size it shouldn't be hard to just make sure that you have workable spacing to pick one up. mine will work with pallets, the only thing is that you can't see the end of the middle forks from the seat. i just use one of the outer forks as a guide. the scut's don't really have the lifting power to build the forks longer with this design... maybe your machine will give you a bit more leaway though.:)

Attachments

• brushforks.jpg
    brushforks.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 1,117
  • chain bracket.jpg
    chain bracket.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 7,631
  • foks5.JPG
    foks5.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 939
  • highfive.jpg
    highfive.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 1,465
  • forks2.JPG
    forks2.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 6,838
  • snowforks.jpg
    snowforks.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 1,483
   / Easy Forks
spacer installed

Attachments

• spacer installed.jpg
    spacer installed.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,325
   / Easy Forks
the flatbar is 3/8x3... the cutting edge of the bucket is 3/8x3 with a bevel starting at the midpoint.

so, there are 3 pieces of 3/8x3 flatbar, 2 on the bottom butting up against each other, and one one the top splitting the difference.

/ Easy Forks #9  
there may be a better way to connect the bottom of the chains to the tubing, but the way shown is quick and easy.

Great job, the whole setup is really slick. Do you think using some sort of ratchet strap to tension them on would work as well? Your setup is definitely more stout than a ratchet strap, I guess it would depend on how often you would be taking them on and off. Very nice build.

/ Easy Forks
Do you think using some sort of ratchet strap to tension them on would work as well?

it probably would, but i think it would be better to attach behind, rather than underneath, the frame of the forks. the chains i welded on are starting to show some wear and are probably going to have to be repositioned at some point. running a strap underneath the frame of the forks probably wouldn't last very long. that area really gets scuffed when you curl the bucket with a good load on the forks.