What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe?

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #11  
The 1 1/4 is the larger, the 1 1/8 is the smaller.
in decimal the 1 1/4 is 1.250 inches and the 1 1/8 is 1.125 inches

I guess I just assumed you were putting the 3/4 pipe into wood not metal. so the 50/1000 or in decimal .050 will not be so easy to achieve in metal as wood. so yes I see your problem... use the 1 1/8 hole saw. of if you can find a 1 1/16 inch hole saw that would be better, but I am not sure they make one..

James K0UA

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #12  
I have another question. Which is bigger and which is smaller?

The 1-1/4" hole saw, the 1-1/8" hole saw?

Chad

OK, where's the cameras ?, it's a trick question ain't it ?

Buy both saws and do a test hole. Regardless what it says on the bit, it's not what your going to get. (holesaws only)

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #13  
The 1-1/8 hole saw is smaller and is the right clearance hole for the pipe.

Most people would use a piece of DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) tubing for this application. The ID is much more precise and is also smooth compared to a piece of 3/4" pipe.

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe?
OK, where's the cameras ?, it's a trick question ain't it ?

Buy both saws and do a test hole. Regardless what it says on the bit, it's not what your going to get. (holesaws only)

:laughing: Sorry I wrote a confusing question. :confused2: lol I guess I should have asked. Which hole saw is smaller? The 1-1/4" or the 1/1/8" ? :laughing:

Even though I got the answer to the question, is this question better worded?

I know the original question was confusing even to me. :D

Chad

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #16  
Well I think you got your answer, that the 1 1/8 is the smaller of the hole saws, and I think what Will was getting at is that a hole saw is an inprecise "hole cutter" at best, and that the stated size may not be what size hole you wind up with, and a lot depends on what kind of material you are cutting and the fact that the pilot drill kinda reams out its own hole making the hole saw uncentered after a period of time. In other words the longer you drill the wider the hole becomes. did that make any sense? if you are going to use a hole saw for drilling large holes in metal, go very slow, and use a lubricant (even wd40 will help) to keep the saw cool as you can, they burn up pretty easy. good luck.

James K0UA

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #17  
1-1/16" Hole Saw by Lenox - K17L - More Hole Saws at doitbest.com

Well looks like Lennox makes an 1 1/16 hole saw. I dont have one, but looks like they exist. this is what you want.
your pipe should be 1.050 nominal size, and 1 1/16 is 1.0625. so the pipe should slip in and weld nice.
James K0UA

I was going to suggest 1-1/16" hole saw and I have one. You have to get them online from places that carry a good assortment like McMaster-Carr or MSC Direct. Home Cheapot and Lowe's don't carry hole saws in 1/16" increments.

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #18  
If it don't say Bimetal, don't buy it.

Lube, lube, lube.

RPM. If you can't maintain 200+- R's or below, your going to smoke 'em.

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #19  
I am not sure what your situation is, but if you already have a 1 inch hole through the material you are trying to drill, you are going to have trouble getting a 1 1/16 holesaw to drill a hole over this hole. as you have no material for the pilot bit to go into. If you can get the part into your drillpress vise, and chuck up the holesaw into your drill press, perhaps you could get this done, but it wont be easy. Have you looked into getting a Silver and Demming drill set? These are large diameter drill bits with reduced shanks to fit you drill press. Perhaps you could find one of these. Another option is sanding drums and reaming carefully out the hole you already have. You have 50 thousanths of an inch to get rid of, and it is difficult to do with a sanding drum/drums but it can be done and is another option. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

James K0UA

/ What size hole saw do I need for 3/4" pipe? #20  
These are all good reasons why I stink at these projects...
Mike