front-mount brush cutter

/ front-mount brush cutter #1  

questadg

I would like to make a front-mount quick-attach brush cutter for cutting willows, brush, etc. I am thinking of either using an old rotary cutter and modify it so that it will be hydraulically driven. I'm not sure if my hyd pump will drive it but may consider a 3. pump or something else. I'm also wondering if a circular type blade would be more effective than the sling blades of the rotary cutter. It is hard to cut willows and some brush w/ a rear mounted rotary cutter and there are some places you can't go w/ it. Has anyone done this or does anyone have ideas. By the way, my tractor is a Branson 3820i. Thanks!

/ front-mount brush cutter #2  
What is you pump output in GPM's. I found it. It is 8.4 GPM

Here are some alternatives.

Attachments

• blade attached.jpg
    blade attached.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,947
  • excavatorsaw1.jpg
    excavatorsaw1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,431
  • a5a4_1.jpg
    a5a4_1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,548
  • qs-swing-boom.jpg
    qs-swing-boom.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,330
   / front-mount brush cutter
Thanks for the info. J.J: I like the pictures you provided. Do you have any info about them? The Bobcat brushcutter is neat but it doesn't seem like my little tractor will run one.

/ front-mount brush cutter #5  
Possible a hydraulic motor could replace the gearbox on 3pt mower, then mounting added to run off the loader arms? Go with a smaller used mower as a starting point. Still, would need an auxillary pump, maybe PTO pump.

Thanks for the info. J.J: I like the pictures you provided. Do you have any info about them? The Bobcat brushcutter is neat but it doesn't seem like my little tractor will run one.

/ front-mount brush cutter #6  
One other possibility is to buy the front mounted rough cut mower from PowerTrac. A 60 inch brush cutter T3021 is only $1500 with the PT mount and is already rigged for hydraulics. You'd just have to weld the PT mount to a QA mount, get some hydraulic lines run under the tractor to your rear remotes and you'd be ready to go. You might need to check on hydraulic output with the Branson but I'd imagine it is close to what is put out by the T12 machines from PowerTrac which are 30hp machines.

http://www.power-trac.com/pdf10/tractordieselT12price072810.pdf

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 4,440
   / front-mount brush cutter #7  
His tractor only has 8.4 GPM's. That just might be enough to run a 3 to 5 cu in hyd motor to turn a 20 in blade and do some serious work.

The 60 in deck from Power-Trac, needs about 12 GPM.

questadg

You can go into the Tech help on the Surplus Hydraulics web site and do some figuring and comparing some hyd motors that will work with what you have. Select calculators.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/hydraulic.asp?catname=hydraulic

/ front-mount brush cutter #8  
Just find an old Gravely two wheeler and pick up the saw attachment.

/ front-mount brush cutter #9  
J_J said:
His tractor only has 8.4 GPM's. That just might be enough to run a 3 to 5 cu in hyd motor to turn a 20 in blade and do some serious work.

The 60 in deck from Power-Trac, needs about 12 GPM.

questadg

You can go into the Tech help on the Surplus Hydraulics web site and do some figuring and comparing some hyd motors that will work with what you have. Select calculators.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/hydraulic.asp?catname=hydraulic

JJ couldn't he run a PTO powwred aux pump then? Or use the 48" cutter

/ front-mount brush cutter #10  
Last edited: