LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #11  
I added extensions to make it taller and to be able to bolt a bar on to make it 3 pt

Attachments

• Log 3 pt.JPG
    Log 3 pt.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 530
   / LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #12  
I have a log splitter I never finished and all it needs is hydraulic lines and a good motor( got a free 10 hp sears that was junk) I just got a Kubota 3800HST and I was wondering if I could use the Pto to drive the splitter pump or am I better off buying a 10 hp motor to replace it.
Ps I went for overkill and it has a 34 ton Ram.

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #13  
you are better off buying another motor. it would a straight bolt in with another motor instead of making a few changes like new hoses, getting a pto pump and requiring you to hook up the pto pump setup every time you need to split

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #14  
Yep, I would get a new motor. Your tractor turns 540 rpm at the pto. That pump will want to see 3600 or so.

So you would have to get creative with gearboxes and.or pullies to get the speed up. And to just totally replace the pump with a PTO pump designed to run on the 540 would likely cost more than a new motor, cause PTO pumps are pricey.

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #15  
Thanks guys. The more I talked it out the more it made sense to buy a motor. As one guy at work said why put hours on a tractor and tie up its use. I had never thought what a pto pump would cost. I think I will get a 10HP vertical shaft and finish it.

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #16  
I would find out what size the pump is and then buy the appropriate motor. Otherwise it will be less efficient. If it is only an 11gpm 2-stage, you can get by with 6 or 6.5 HP.

Also, got any pics of the current set-up. That way we can "survey" it better and offer some more advice? Like do you have a filter in the system??

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #17  
That is the most dangerous video I've seen today....

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #18  
I have got to ask,, why is it so dangerous?

/ LOG SPLITTER homemade 3point linkage #19  
I have got to ask,, why is it so dangerous?

I was wondering the same thing??

Not any more dangerous than every other splitter on the market?????