leaf compactor, leaf logs ?

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
Anyone with any experience with something like this ?
something like this does not seem very difficult to build...it does seem to be time consuming...

[youtube_browser]bS7Vcc-fW_Q[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]hFSVtJbpHF8[/youtube_browser]

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #2  
The second version looks like a more productive unit. Any idea about soot and ash rates from these logs?

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #3  
Yes that is pretty cool. I think he would be better off running all of his leaves thru a hammer mill to shred them finely before introduction to the log maker. Personnaly, I like the idea of making leaves into pellets better.

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #4  
I like the first unit. It seems like a different feed system might speed up the process. I have enough leaves at my house, that I could spend a month or more making logs.:D

Making pellets would be nice for a pellet stove. If anyone has made one please post some pictures.

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #5  
I like it a low volume way to clean up the yard but 6 minutes per log is a bit much. Maybe an auger feed like a meat grinder could cut that down a bit.
Some pellet machines work similarly.

The energy input vs heat in house might still be low. But if its all about dealing with the waste that might not be a problem.

my 2cents.
bxn

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #6  
I got enough leaves to make alot of logs.

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #7  
I've used my hay baler to produce leaf bales that burn well. I've not shortened up the bale length at all because I burn the leaf 'bricks' outdoors. I suppose with a few extra shields in the auger throat area to prevent spillage, you could crank out some leaf cubes as fast as you could feed the baler. The chopped leaves from my leaf vac also burn well, if there was a way to feed the baler from the vac tank, the complete system would be very productive. I wonder about smoke, though, if there is not enough air....

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ? #8  
Silly me, I just burn wood logs...

/ leaf compactor, leaf logs ?
Silly me, I just burn wood logs...

Occasionally we get guests that are not used to being "out in the woods/mountains"...and they often remark about how many trees there are... my standard comeback is "just think how many leaves there are"

[advance caveat]
NOT comparing burning wood to leaves for heat etc...so don't even start.
[/advance caveat]

leaf logs are made of a resource that regenerates on a yearly basis...wood log resources of average firewood size and species regenerate about every 30 years or more...