Self Contained Hydraulics Question

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question #1  

Kiohio

Platinum Member
Tractor
Can't remember....
Can you run a hydraulic pump via belt and electric motor?? A friend wants to convert his homemade logsplitter from using tractor hydraulics to an electric motor driven hydraulic pump. The tractor has 5gpm and 2100psi. It has a BIG cylinder on it and at 5 gpm it is rather slow! He would like to go to a 2 stage pump at around 8/10 gpm and 2100 or so psi. We know there are some other things we'll have to do but we have to get the power unit lined out first.
Thanks in advance, KO

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question #2  
KO;
Check this out. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/LogSplitter.pdf>http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/LogSplitter.pdf</A>

Sims

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question #3  
Sims,that was a good site,very interesting, even though I'm happy with my gas splitter it's always nice to hear/see another approach.......Mike

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question #4  
First problem you'll have is that most hydraulic pumps aren't built to be belt driven. The bearings cannot handle the loading.
It's much easier to couple a pump to a motor with a lovejoy coupling, and more energy efficient too.
Second problem is that you'll need a BIG electric motor!

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question #5  
Not too big of a motor Franz. Electric motor hp is worth more than gas engine hp. Continuous torque vs pulsed torque of a gas engine. Check out SimS site in the post above. Pretty neat, especially if you split wood in the same place all of the time. easy start and no hassles on maintenance. I like the electric approach or the PTO driven approach for mobile splitting. One less thing to have to keep running.

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question #6  
I built one called KUNG FOO, made from the corner beam of a road plow, with a Cat loader cylinder, 24" stroke that handles everything a 5hp 3 phase motor can deliver. Of coures it also eats 20" hickory sideways.
Rule of thumb, 1 electric hp = 2 gas hp.
Rule #2, there is never enough power on any splitter till you bend the beam.

/ Self Contained Hydraulics Question
Thanks for the help!! We've got it figured out now. I found an adapter for a 182tc framed motor. It allows direct hook-up to the pump with an SAE AA mount. It ought to be a nice little package.
Thanks again, KO