Heater core for cab

/ Heater core for cab #1  

brunswick000

Tractor
L245DT
Does anyone know of any particular automotive heater cores that are small enough to utilize for cab heaters? I was hoping to find a couple of small ones so that I could maybe put two of them in the cab, ceiling mounted, and pointing down at the front and rear windshields.

I have been searching this site high and low for about an hour now for a thread that had pics of a home-made job that had put together. It had two small electric fans that had been attached to it. I cannot find it anywhere??

Currently I have one heater that is rather large, and very inconveniently positioned on the right side of the cab. I keep bumping my arm off it and makes my right shoulder so hot its ridiculous. Plus it blocks half the right side window.

JC Whitney has a wide selection of heater cores available, but you have to select a vehicle make, model, and year to see it. It would take forever to find one small enough. Just hoping for a point in the right direction. Or the junkyard for that matter.

Thanks

/ Heater core for cab
Does anyone think that a couple of small oil coolers would work? Would like these to be as compact as possible. :confused2:

/ Heater core for cab
[/QUOTE]The add-on (Hayden) transmission oil coolers that you mentioned will also work, but they might be down in efficiency a bit since their fins are usually just slid on the cooler lines. Most of them will also have smaller fittings (3/8").[/QUOTE]

Couldnt you just plumb it right from the rad with 3/8? Was thinking of using solid copper lines, except right where the lines enter the cab to compensate for cab movement.

/ Heater core for cab #5  
Try Aqua hot I ll have to go to work to get their web address but the Busses that they build at the plant use them as base board heaters. I got one they chunked that had a bad fan on it. THey use the little DC fans like a computer uses. I rounded up a fan at an electronics section of my scrap yard. I do have a few new 3/8ths dash heater cores that came off some truck conversions I was working on. If you think you can use it your welcomed to it.
http://www.aquahot.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/default/Accessories.aspx THe whisper heat excanger is what I found at work.

Last edited:
   / Heater core for cab #6  
I believe a company called CARTER has a variety of stand alone heaters.
Mine came from under a school bus rear seat and measures 6 X 6 ins, and core is approx 2" thick.
Believe it was rated at 30,ooo BTU's and perfect for my CUT.
Mu UAP store had a catalogue on them.

/ Heater core for cab
@ K7LN, I should have been more specific. I meant to say id like to use solid lines in the cab. I am super paranoid about a line bursting for whatever reason and ruining my dashing good looks. Regular flexible coolant lines everywhere else.

@ PILOON, I did a bit of a search for "Carter" heaters and cant find them. Guess ill keep searching for now. Im sure ill come across something suitable.

Are any others here using any strictly electrical heaters? Seems like a bad idea to me given that a tractor from the early 80's really wasn't meant to handle a lot of electrical extras. Already have 4 aux lights and windsheild wipers. Just dont want create any new problems to solve.

/ Heater core for cab
Summit has got some good choices. This one seems to be the smallest:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PLI-398010/

They have flexible, braided SS heater hoses as well. A lot easier than solid lines in the cab. As far as fans are concerned, how have others mounted them to the core? Some of you have used the small computer type electric fans? Anyone able to post a pic of theirs mounted to the heater core to show how you got them on there?