Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2410tlb w/ R1 and Rimguard

Default Switch for snowblower chute control

Hello,

I'm looking for some help finding a multi throw momentary switch that I can use to control both electric chute rotation and electric deflector on my 48" RAD blower. Ideally I'm looking for something weather tight. I found this which looks like it might work, but it does not look very weather resistant.

Has anyone come across a nice switch for this application?

Thanks
    Last edited by tsteahr; 02-17-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Changed switch description
    Massey GC2410TLB w/ thumb, 2320 54" MMM, 2360 50" front blower, Woods LRC60 rake w/ gauge wheels, Woods GBC48 Box Scraper, IMD 10KW PTO generator, Paynes forks

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Default Re: Switch for snowblower chute control

Electronic Components Distributor | DigiKey Corp. | US Home Page Their catalog is HUGE. They have switches for just about any imaginable situation, including weatherproof. Just have patience when navigating through the online store because it is massive!

Joe
    Joe

Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Gold Member

You can also buy a one piece weatherproof boot that is molded onto the securing nut for the switch. They are usually a grey silicone type rubber that slips over the switch lever. Might be listed separately from the switches.

Tractor
    A couple

Quote Originally Posted by OldandWorn View Post
    You can also buy a one piece weatherproof boot that is molded onto the securing nut for the switch. They are usually a grey silicone type rubber that slips over the switch lever. Might be listed separately from the switches.
    That's an option for weather resistance.

Try Del-City. Del City - Wiring Products and Professional Electrical Supplies

or... OTRATTW
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    2007 MF GC2310 TLB

Have you checked with your dealer? Might be more $$, but the ones they used on my 2310 work and seem to be holding up well.

You can see the two switches in the pic, one on either side of the dashboard area. They're both rubber-coated. On mine, the switches were dealer-installed-- they might have them in stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dashboard-2-jpg  
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Gold Member
    Tractor

Thanks for the links guys. Looking at this I realized a 4 pole double throw is NOT what I need. I'm looking to combine four functions into a single switch, like a toggle joystick. So I can have up/down and left/right available on the same switch by moving the switch in any of four directions.

Now I'm not sure exactly what I need. I'm thinking I need perhaps 6 poles. Two poles for voltage input (12v hot and ground). Then another 4 poles for control of each of the two motors. Am I on the right track with this?
    Massey GC2410TLB w/ thumb, 2320 54" MMM, 2360 50" front blower, Woods LRC60 rake w/ gauge wheels, Woods GBC48 Box Scraper, IMD 10KW PTO generator, Paynes forks

Tractor
    Massey 2310

I used two DPDT momentary switches. One controls up/down, the other left/right. Found them at Radio Shack. Not weatherproof, they are inside the cab. I used one of RS's project boxes to mount them at hand height when turned sideways in the seat. But then, I snowblow in reverse. And warmth.
    Massey 2310 TLB
    Curtis soft side cab
    Puma Pronovost 54" 3ph snowblower
    Jinma clone wood chipper
    PTO Generator on a carry-all
    GB48 Woods box blade

The number below actually indicates hours per gallon, not MPG.

Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

Where you buy your switch from think in terms of availabitily if you ever break the new switch. Remember you will be wearing gloves when you are operating the switch.

Craig Clayton

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
    I used two DPDT momentary switches. One controls up/down, the other left/right. Found them at Radio Shack. Not weatherproof, they are inside the cab. I used one of RS's project boxes to mount them at hand height when turned sideways in the seat. But then, I snowblow in reverse. And warmth.
    Yes, that is an option for me to just install a second, seperate DPDT. I may have to go that route if I can't find a a switch that lets me combine all functions into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Clayton View Post
    Where you buy your switch from think in terms of availabitily if you ever break the new switch. Remember you will be wearing gloves when you are operating the switch.

Craig Clayton
    Good point. I would plan on buying one or two spares just for that possibility. Most of these switches are around $10-$15 so getting a couple spares won't break the bank. I'd order a few spare weather boots as well.

Tractor
    Kubota/B7500,4WD,Hst

What about going with a retro joystick from a video game? Would have to hook up some relays to increase current ratings, but if they had 4 micro switches mounted in the base it should work. You could also look at the joystick from a honda 928 snowblower. I have this blower and it uses a joystick form the chute and damper. or maybe this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Joystick-4-way-t...#ht_500wt_1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast