2 tires, what to make?

/ 2 tires, what to make? #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Okay guys, i have been looking at these tires for 2 weeks now trying to figure out what to make out of them. I also have 2 smaller tires but i am more focused on the larger 2 (shown in pictures). They are 18"x8.5" R3 tires and take a 3/4" axle so I am limited weight wise due to axle diameter. I have came up with a few ideas but I really cant see myself using them. Any ideas? I really want a welding project. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2-24-11 127.JPG
    2-24-11 127.JPG
    898.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 8-13-10 007.JPG
    8-13-10 007.JPG
    928.3 KB · Views: 245
   / 2 tires, what to make? #2  
The axle could be larger with 3/4" stubs at the ends.

What are there for bearings? And length of bearing surface?

/ 2 tires, what to make? #3  
How about a dump cart? Of course you'd have to extend the axle to make it wide enough to hold any amount of material but you could do that with some pipe that fits tight over the axle. If you make one, just make sure to build the framework tall enough that the bed of the cart will actually dump the material instead of just tilting. I bought a 1500 pound capacity cart and had to make the frame that went from the axle to the bed 6 inches taller. The way it was originally, the cart would just tilt but the material still had to be scraped out with a shovel. After I extended the frame to get the bed 6 inches higher, the cart actually dumps the load; I just have to pull up a little after dumping to get everything out.

/ 2 tires, what to make?
The axle could be larger with 3/4" stubs at the ends.

What are there for bearings? And length of bearing surface?

There are no bearings, they used to be on the back of a craftsman riding mower that was scrapped. They didnt need bearings, there is a key that slides into the wheel that allows the tranny to turn the wheel.

/ 2 tires, what to make?
How about a dump cart? Of course you'd have to extend the axle to make it wide enough to hold any amount of material but you could do that with some pipe that fits tight over the axle. If you make one, just make sure to build the framework tall enough that the bed of the cart will actually dump the material instead of just tilting. I bought a 1500 pound capacity cart and had to make the frame that went from the axle to the bed 6 inches taller. The way it was originally, the cart would just tilt but the material still had to be scraped out with a shovel. After I extended the frame to get the bed 6 inches higher, the cart actually dumps the load; I just have to pull up a little after dumping to get everything out.

I do have a small dump cart, not full dump, just kinda tilts to drop the load. All i haul with this cart is occasionally gravel but mostly firewood from the shed to the house. I also put some new over sized tires on it, makes it looks tougher and it has better performance verses the old wheel barrow tires i had on it originally.

Attachments

• 9-7-10 037.JPG
    9-7-10 037.JPG
    932 KB · Views: 159
  • 9-7-10 021.JPG
    9-7-10 021.JPG
    931.2 KB · Views: 181
   / 2 tires, what to make? #6  
OK, how about a heavy duty dolly to move some of your equipment around?

/ 2 tires, what to make?
   / 2 tires, what to make? #8  
Landing wheels for a 1 man airplane, LifeSize checkers (starter set), baseball pitching machine, log sawmill band pulleys, gauge wheels for landscape rake, portable mailbox base (fill with concrete), ammunition for trebuche.

/ 2 tires, what to make? #9  
I just gave 2 mobile home wheels and drums to a friend who is going to make 2 manually driven pottery wheels. They spin nicely and for a long time.