Yet another home made box scraper

/ Yet another home made box scraper #1  

GaryInWA

Tractor
JCB 1400B backhoe, Kubota B21
I have been wanting a box scraper for my tractor for some time and had some free time and materials to build one. I would guess it took me about 15 hours to design, fabricate and weld everything..I havent painted it yet and dont think I will.

My tractor is a Kubota B21 with a detachable backhoe and can only handle 4 foot implements so I built a 4 foot box scraper.

I used a Dewalt angle grinder with cutting disc to cut most of the metal to length,I have burned up many an angle grinder and so far the dewalts seem to last the longest plus they are bright yellow and easier to find when I misplace them :)
I used my trusty Lincoln buzz box and 7018 rod to weld everything together so if the welds doesnt look purdy thats why :) I have never used a wire feed welder and prefer stick welding as I can reach into spots with the welding rod that arent accessible with a wire feed welder.

I have a 4 foot brush hog for my tractor so used measurements from its A-frame when building the a-frame for the box scraper. The metal I used for my a-frame is a little heavier duty than that used on a box scraper I saw at my local tractor dealership so I think it can handle the tasks ahead.

I decided to buy 4 rippers/scarcifiers rather than build them and boy are those things pricey but it would have taken me forever to cut, heat treat, etc my own.

I tested the scraper out and it worked pretty good, I think I will strap a few cinder blocks to it and try it again as the gravel road I share with my neighbors is very hard packed and the rippers arent digging in enough....I probably will add a cutting edge to the box blades box which will help gather up loosened material and redistribute into the potholes.

I placed a bunch of photos of the build up and some photos of potholes before and after using the scraper on them at:
Box Scraper pictures by luvmud85 - Photobucket

Attachments

• 100_0164.jpg
    100_0164.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,930
  • 100_0165.jpg
    100_0165.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,690
  • 100_0157.jpg
    100_0157.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 1,569
   / Yet another home made box scraper #2  
nice job..I think I'll build one when the snow leaves

/ Yet another home made box scraper #3  
Looks purdy to me!!! Wish you lived nearby, I'd give you a used grader blade to add for a cutting edge. Nice job. You'll get years of good service from that outfit.

I welded for forty five years with a Lincoln. Bought a wire welder four years ago. I ran outta wire the other day and finished up a project with the Lincoln. Burned a couple rods before the technique came back to me. I'd forgotten how to weld with stick. :laughing:

/ Yet another home made box scraper #4  
Your build on the box blade looks good. Definetly add the cutting edge like you described. One question on the hook up to the lift arms. The ends of the left and right lift arms appear to turn out towards the tires. Are they reversed from what they should be?

/ Yet another home made box scraper #5  
nice, I also plan to build one this summer using iron from an old bush hog.

You've given me some ideas on what I need to do. :thumbsup:

/ Yet another home made box scraper #6  
Your build on the box blade looks good. Definetly add the cutting edge like you described. One question on the hook up to the lift arms. The ends of the left and right lift arms appear to turn out towards the tires. Are they reversed from what they should be?

I noticed that as we. Good eye:thumbsup:

/ Yet another home made box scraper #7  
Good looking job!!

+1 on adding the cutting edge :)

/ Yet another home made box scraper #8  
Pins pointing out is normal, but it does appear that they should be reversed to fit the tractor arms better.
Edit: Never mind, I read that completely wrong. :rolleyes: I agree that the arms appear to be backwards.

Last edited:
   / Yet another home made box scraper #9  
I noticed that as well. Good eye:thumbsup:
Looks like the might be bent... or s I like to call "custom designed". :D

/ Yet another home made box scraper #10  
Didn't think to build a box blade, beaudy, more for the to do list, lol, I wonder when I will get that done, eh?:thumbsup:

Last edited: