Sharpening Drill Bits

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
Been out in the workshop this morning sharpening Drill Bits for a friend.I have been using a General model 825 it works pretty good.Also done the smaller ones by hand the gadget doesnt seem to work well in sizs less than 1/4 so i do them by hand.He also had a few Spade bits also did these by hand i really like to do this sort of thing.Does anyone else have this kind of drill sharpening attachment and how does it work for you?

/ Sharpening Drill Bits
Drill Doctor by any chance?

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #4  
I have one like the General 825 that I inherited from my Dad. Haven't used it in many years. I've got a Drill Doctor now. Love it. It makes sharpening drill bits easy and quick.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #5  
His link shows that it is a Drill Doctor.

Personally,I got used to using the belt sander at work, mostly for large bits. Been doing it for quite a few years so it's a piece of cake for me. Split points are a bit harder to do,but still come out pretty decent.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #6  
I use drill doctor
Gift from mom
I really like it

Joel

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #7  
One of the great things of Drill Doctor is all your friends that don't think the sharpener works and gives all their old drills......Yipeeeee.....:thumbsup:

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #8  
I was given a Drill Doctor years ago. I gave it away, took too long to get the bit in the holder. I'm just use to doing it by hand.

Attachments

• Drill sharp 1.jpg
    Drill sharp 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 942
  • drill web.jpg
    drill web.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 535
  • Drill relief.jpg
    Drill relief.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 469
  • Drill angle.jpg
    Drill angle.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,078
   / Sharpening Drill Bits #9  
I used to sharpen my own but after years of not making my living in a shop,,,, Sad to say I have lost the ability to sharpen like I used to. I can stll do little ones but the biggins mess me up.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #10  
I can't seem to get the Drill Doctor to work on the smaller bits. It works great on 1/4" and up.

Probably operator error, just need to stay at it. My index is full of stubby bits < 1/4" :')