Boom for 3 point hitch

/ Boom for 3 point hitch #1  

Chain Bender

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
Have a Kubaota L3200 and have a need for a boom occasionally. Don't want to pay dealership prices for theirs, but the 500# rated ones I've seen at TSC appear thin and weak. They look like a sideways bump while carrying a heavy log would crumple it.

So here's my project. 2X2X0.25 box. 24-30" rise off the draw bar and extending 6-8 feet outwards. Braced well from the rise to the extension and stabilized from side to side. Maybe if needed the strongback stiffener across the top of the boom.

Anyone have any ideas or pics or drawings of such a contraption? What would be the lift capacity using an 8' boom.

thanks in advance for any replies,

Chain Bender

/ Boom for 3 point hitch #2  
Here ya go. Just substitute 2x2 for 2x4 tubing if you want to. This one breaks down and stores on the barn wall. Also doubles as a trailer hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 854
   / Boom for 3 point hitch
Here ya go. Just substitute 2x2 for 2x4 tubing if you want to. This one breaks down and stores on the barn wall. Also doubles as a trailer hitch.

XXXXX

Nice design. Mine will be all welded and stored on the back 40. Trying to get more distance from the tractor than my FEL will allow. I have a set of homemade forks for the bucket, but that far out I don't think I'll have near the lift as I will with the 3 point hitch boom.

/ Boom for 3 point hitch #4  
Here is one I built for mt 58 ford.
Army Grunt

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpg
    IMG_4551.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 1,055
   / Boom for 3 point hitch #5  
<snip> Don't want to pay dealership prices for theirs, but the 500# rated ones I've seen at TSC appear thin and weak. They look like a sideways bump while carrying a heavy log would crumple it. <snip>

I did exactly that skidding out a maple log. It got hung on a stump and when it freed up it did a battering ram number on the left side stay, right in the middle. Almost buckled it. Dropped the log and unhitched the boom pole. Was able to straighten out the stay by setting it on the ground and pressing down on it with the bottom of the FEL bucket. Barely a wrinkle visible now - just some paint flaked off. I decided then and there to build a skidder from a HF QH and not use the boom pole for that job any more.

/ Boom for 3 point hitch #6  
I bought mine from redlandhill.com. Very well made! Little pricey but an excellent product.