B21 Toolbox

/ B21 Toolbox #1  

troutsqueezer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
Greetings Fellow Earthlings,

It's taken me 5 months to figure out where in the heck to put a toolbox on my B21. When they designed this tractor, they left NO room for a toolbox of any size to be mounted by the user. I need to mention that I do not have a backhoe on this TLB but even so, space is at a premium.

Finally I came up with this plan:

I started by welding together a rod assembly that will fit directly behind the seat and in front of the ROP.

DSC05544.jpg

I ran across this plastic toolbox at Home Depot one day and it only set me back a measly nine bucks. It so happens it's close to the same color as my tractor. :thumbsup: I drilled two holes in the bottom for the rod assembly to fit up into.

DSC05548.jpg

DSC05549.jpg

Next I needed some brackets to mount the assembly to the fenders on the tractor, right behind the ROP. This way I didn't have to compromise the ROP. I started by marking a block of aluminum.

DSC05550.jpg

I bored the holes to slightly over .5"

DSC05553.jpg

Then I cut out the parts.

DSC05554.jpg

Done deal.

DSC05556.jpg

The competed assembly. I added the flag to the small upright post to ensure the assemble doesn't tip toward the rear of the tractor once the tool box is mounted. It presses against the ROP.

DSC05557.jpg

Here it is mounted.

DSC05560.jpg

Now I have a nice place to keep my chain, wrenches, food, beer.....no not beer....ummm...Coke. Yeah, that's it. I removed the metal latches that came on the box because they would probably rust immediately. If it turns out this plastic box is too lightweight, it's an easy matter to buy another box, made of metal, maybe with a slightly lower profile, drill two holes in it and plop it on there.

DSC05562.jpg

/ B21 Toolbox #2  
Great looking,Love the mill work that went into it:)
Army Grunt

/ B21 Toolbox #6  
Looking at your work I would suggest you build a tool box out of some plate, you have the tools and the know how. I had the same problem with my tractor but because I had the backhoe I mounted my toolbox to the front bumper.

/ B21 Toolbox #7  
Good idea, and even better execution!! If I were you, I would get a sheet of some 1/8" aluminum and cut to fit the bottom of it to make a nice "floor" for it. Or, you could go cheap and just use 1/4" plywood. If you drive your tractor on roads, you might want to consider adding a SMV on the outside back of the box for safety.

/ B21 Toolbox
Thanks guys. This thread is more than two years old. Since then I have replaced it with a metal tool box and also have an SMV for safety. We think alike! This pic does not show the SMV but it is installed now.

/ B21 Toolbox #9  
Too bad all these photos won't load on my phone... I've been searching this forum for ideas....

I'm looking for ideas for mounting a small toolbox (18"x6"x6") to my Montana R3644.
Seems the front counterweight bracket would be the easiest place to mount too but may not be the most "accessible" when it comes to getting the tools.

Anyone have photos or ideas to share of where you've mounted toolboxes on your smaller tractors????
I'll follow up later with a few pictures of prospective locations...