Spring problems, hoping for your suggestions

/ Spring problems, hoping for your suggestions #1  

znowybird

I got myself into a little questionable scenario regarding these spring trips.

I bought a couple Kubota L245h for our veggie farm and got a wicked deal on them b\c they didn't have the underbelly mounts for the cultivator. Being a pretty crafty welder and machinist i whipped up some really nice assemblies and have them all good to go. The problem i am having is with the spring trip assembly i have a picture of below.

I was going to just buy some off an old international assembly but I am having one **** of a time getting them. I figured that would work just fine and I could build it to whatever i needed. I've called to many salvage yards and got no where. Saw some on ebay but they went quick.

So while i continue to look for them I have thought about just building them. It is a piece of 3/4" solid that telescopes in a piece of 3/4in pipe.

SO the issue becomes what the **** is the spring tension or what kind of extension spring do i need? Also can i weld the spring onto an assembly or how do i attach it?

I was thinking some plow springs but In talking to the guy the welds never hold.

What'd ya think?

Attachments

• kubota-spring.gif
    kubota-spring.gif
    297.3 KB · Views: 198
   / Spring problems, hoping for your suggestions #2  
I would buy the largest gas shock absorbers for a pick up truck and weld tabs to the two halves to mount the spring eyes.

/ Spring problems, hoping for your suggestions
that's rings as a good idea. my only worry would be don't you think the gas shocks are working on compression not expansion. that spring is being pulled apart when it trips not pushed in.

i like the idea and will take a look.it has to be adjustable in order to make up differences in your cultivators from one side to the other.

/ Spring problems, hoping for your suggestions
After some thinking on that I don't think it would work because when you actuated the hydraulic arm that lifts the assembly it would just push the gas shock in. I think anyways.

/ Spring problems, hoping for your suggestions #5  
Could you adapt the springs from an old truck or car hood?