Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Re: How do you use your shop press?

I also have the hf 20 ton. I think its on sale right now for about $169

There is a company that sells a brake press die for about $150, so for about $300 you have something that can bend 3/8" they also have a hd die than can bend up to 1/2" I think, but you are really pressing the limits of the hf.
    company is called swag offroad.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455, Kubota M120, Allis Chalmers 7010

BIL used to have 20 ton at his work, I maxed it out all the time. No where near enough juice for tractor sized stuff!

Platinum Member

if you're the type that builds or fixes things regularly, then an ironworker would be one of the handiest pieces of machinery around. problem is, unless you use one every day, it's not really a cost effective tool. sure there are some old used ones out there for cheap money, but they are generally massive, and myself, i don't have the floor space to donate to one. not to mention, the good deals i see are usually 2000 miles away or more, so even going to look at it is not practical, let alone bringing it home. there are nice small ones geared toward home shop size operations, but they are all newer and will generally run you several thousand dollars with tooling.

the good thing here is that an ironworker is really not much more than a glorified shop press. you can use most any shop press and build/buy dies that will make it punch, bend, and shear metal like an ironworker. the limit is the capacity of the hydraulics. you can sometimes find used ironworker tooling on places like ebay for cheap prices, and rework if to fit into your shop press.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

When I built my log splitter I built it to use as a shop press also via a pin on adapter. It has worked well for me. Just back the tractor up close, hook up the remotes, and off to work.

To be honest I have had it for 5 years and only used it 2-3 times but it was a life saver each of them.

Chris

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4020

when using a press for pressing bearings and shafts out and other things like that,
    when you start getting some pressure on things, make sure your in a safe area, and have eye protection, things can explode and if some thing gives it can shoot things with a lot of force, when your pushing 40,000 or 60,000 or more pounds on things, there is a some built up energy and if things go, it can be hazardous to your health,

use some common sense and your brain,

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

Mine's just a 12 ton but I get good use out of it. I did bend some 1x1 HRS with it for my toothbar.
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by wvpolekat View Post
    In theory, couldn't you hook your press to your tractor remotes?
    Another attachment!

Quote Originally Posted by BHD View Post
    when using a press for pressing bearings and shafts out and other things like that,
    when you start getting some pressure on things, make sure your in a safe area, and have eye protection, things can explode and if some thing gives it can shoot things with a lot of force, when your pushing 40,000 or 60,000 or more pounds on things, there is a some built up energy and if things go, it can be hazardous to your health,

use some common sense and your brain,
    Yes, I have had a few occaisions when using my HF20T when I wished I had built some sort of containment cage. I ususally stand right behind the vertical I-beam and hope the bank shot doesn't get me.

-Jim
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    Farmnought.Gravely Model L,Gravely Model LI,1941 Clinton two wheeler

Don't have a press at present but I have this big vise I made!! I can beak down Ram 4x4 tires in it.
    Need to get a modern picture of it someday...
    Yes...that is a FIVE gallon bucket.

1945 Allis-Chalmers,1967 Wheelhorse.The wife has a bubble hooded Simplicity and a Dixon.
    Anything green here- has roots or gets spent!!!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4720 Cab

I used to think a vise or concrete floor and a sledge hammer was good enough. But I truly knew it wasn't. Take a look at Larry G.'s projects. I knew I had to get one then if I wanted any decent results. This is a 35 ton air over and it will do more than anything I have ever needed.
    A piece of "C" channel with flat stock welded on the end makes a great female die portion. Larry made an anvil for me that fits over the round press shaft. I have bent 1/2" x 4" flat with no problem. This press gets used constanly.
    I am so glad to be out of the stone hammer age. Gene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you use your shop press?-installed-press-anvil-004-jpg   How do you use your shop press?-installed-press-anvil-003-jpg  

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Nice looking piece of equipment!!! Do you have a press brake? I am thinking about getting one from Northern (also looked at the Swag) Don't you have to use one to bend flat stock?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast