How do you use your shop press?

/ How do you use your shop press? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
Just getting into metal fabrication and wondered what uses work well on a press. ( In tems of bending material, punching holes, etc.) How useful are they, how big does it need to be, and what thickness metal can you bend? What accessories are required? I have seen them but never seen one in operation and would like to learn more about their use. Pictures of how you have used them would be even nicer! Thanks

/ How do you use your shop press? #2  
The press that my dad bought has come in handy.

I used it to bend the metal for my backhoe bucket, I use it like a vise. I was once breaking an old brass valve off a galvanized pipe and used the press to hold it in place so I could break the pipe loose. It worked fantastic.

I also used the press to hold some metal in place while I cut it.

Oh and I once used it as a log splitter until I started bending it and had to stop. :laughing:

Chad

/ How do you use your shop press? #3  
I have a twenty ton unit (hydraulic jack),

and have made some dies, and have bent a lot of items, some curves with the die made out of a heavy pipe one a 2" and one a 6" some is heavy 1/2 thick but only a few inches wide and on light things up to the width of the frame, up to 16 gage, some 10 gage, some is making the correct die,

I have a break die that I can do a 90 degree reasonably sharp bend, (about 1/8 on 16 gage.

It is very slow, and at times difficult to get things to bend where you want them to bend, (especially in curves), but it make a very professional look to some projects,

/ How do you use your shop press? #4  
I have a 20 ton as well. I do not use mine that much but when i do, i am wishing i had foot operated air assist Pumping that handle gets old real quick and keeps both hands free.

/ How do you use your shop press? #6  
I miss the 50 ton we had at the shop. I just bought a little 12 ton for home but its not really big enough to do anything. I've got a bunch of wide flange and an air over hydro pump I'd like to make a larger one with but I'd need to rent a mag drill.

/ How do you use your shop press?
I miss the 50 ton we had at the shop. I just bought a little 12 ton for home but its not really big enough to do anything. I've got a bunch of wide flange and an air over hydro pump I'd like to make a larger one with but I'd need to rent a mag drill.

The reason I asked is that i found a used 30 ton for sale locally for a pretty good price and being a tool junkie, I am going to buy it. I hope it is big enough to bend some 3/16 to 3/8. I guess I will have to buy one of those bendy devices from Northern that go with the press.

As far as those mag drills, those look pretty handy also. I was looking at those yesterday (along with a metal blade chop saw) too many tools, not enough money!!

/ How do you use your shop press? #8  
I don't know what the 30T deal is, but I bought the 20T HF for under
$200 years ago. I straighten bent hyd rods, press bearings in and out,
bend thick brackets (5/8") and other parts for steel fab. Etc, etc. I
have a home-made brake for it, too.

A tool like this is essential for most home workshops.

That said, sometimes I wish it had air-assist, but other times, I need the
fine control using the lever. I have a 20T air-assist jack that I use
separately, and you do not have the same feel or control using it in
air mode.

If I did it over, I would buy the HF 35T or 50T unit for the bigger work
platform, and the crank-control for raising the platform. Air control would
be good, as long as I have manual override. I have maxed out my 20T,
but not too often.

Attachments

• hub_press.JPG
    hub_press.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:
   / How do you use your shop press? #9  
only press I have is a 2 ton arbor press.. but it's been great for seating seals and bearings in small assemblies.. or pins into recesses in small assemblies.. etc.

soundguy

/ How do you use your shop press? #10  
In theory, couldn't you hook your press to your tractor remotes?