Ballast Box Build

/ Ballast Box Build #11  
24 bags to a mixed on top of pallets so you could dump it in, wow. I don't know about you but I would be feeling that in the morning. I'm not sure exactly what the weight will be, but you really don't add much water per bag, a few pounds worth so it really isn't going to make much of a difference one way or the other.

/ Ballast Box Build #13  
Looks real good, with all the talk lately about ballast boxes, I have started working on one my self. I always missed having the backhoe on when doing loader work. I always use some type of implement but it's just not the same, and seems they are always in the way.

/ Ballast Box Build
Looks real good, with all the talk lately about ballast boxes, I have started working on one my self. I always missed having the backhoe on when doing loader work. I always use some type of implement but it's just not the same, and seems they are always in the way.

Yeah, I just don't have an implement that weighs 2000lbs. If I did, I would consider using it.

/ Ballast Box Build
Here are some pics with the form removed. This weekend will be two weeks since it was poured. It hardened up nicely, despite the very cold weather we've had since the pour (30s and 40s). I'm tempted to try lifting it with the tractor this weekend.

If I had to do this again, I think I'd line the form with plastic. To prevent the prune appearance that others have spoke of in other threads, I'd line each face of the form with plastic, pulled tight before assembling the form. I believe this would result in a very smooth appearance. As I did it, I believe the wood pulled some moisture from the surface and resulted in some areas of the surface not curing as well. I may get a back of concrete to smooth off some of the spots that didn't cure as well. I have no idea why I'm compelled to do that since this is just a block used for weight. :confused2:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 487
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 325
   / Ballast Box Build #16  
U will soon get plenty of dings in it.

""One of the local cement factories would fill that form for cheap around here. You could beld up and weld some rebar to that steel that would help reinforce it.""

That is definetely a goer, even if its reject, hey its only a counter weight. As long as it will hold together reasonably well. Heard of a local place around here that makes em into blocks for barrackades etc.. out of excess and reject stuff. Might pop in one day with my formwork etc set up and do just that.

/ Ballast Box Build #17  
Did you coat your form with motor oil before pouring the concrete? That would have made it easier to separate the plywood from the concrete. We did that with some poured concrete here and it worked great.

We used new motor oil by the way.

/ Ballast Box Build #18  
After seeing diesel being used in the same manner I used it once myself, results seemed good enuf for the job.

/ Ballast Box Build
Hooked her up today and wow what a difference. The extra weight takes the back end down an inch or two when the block is raised. And it feels much more planted when using the loader. There were no signs of cracking or stress on the block when lifting it either. I did get a bag of rapid set, high strength cement that's designed for resurfacing, so I'll be able to make the surface of the block nice and smooth (why I care about this, I have no idea).

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 298
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 452
   / Ballast Box Build #20  
Very nice. I have been wanting to do something like that for our M7040 and it sounds like I should hurry up and do it. Should work well. :thumbsup: