Ballast Box Build

/ Ballast Box Build #1  

mdelmarcelle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040SUD
Just finished the box form I'll used to create a ballast weight for my Kubota M7040SUD. The box will weigh about 1900 to 2000 pounds when done. I'll post more pics of it being filled and with the form off once done.

Since it will just be a concrete block with no supporting box, I bought the crack resistant concrete. It supposedly contains some sort of fiber material to help resist cracks. I'll also put various metal reinforcements in before pouring the concrete.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 994
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 654
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 788
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 410
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 415
   / Ballast Box Build #2  
Interesting! I've been pondering the choice between buying a factory-made BB and making my own, though it'd be a lot smaller than yours (800 lb or so). Your pics are a great help, especially the ones of the interior with the attachment points in place. Have you figured out how much you've put into this BB form, and how much were the sacks of concrete?

/ Ballast Box Build #3  
Interesting! I've been pondering the choice between buying a factory-made BB and making my own, though it'd be a lot smaller than yours (800 lb or so). Your pics are a great help, especially the ones of the interior with the attachment points in place. Have you figured out how much you've put into this BB form, and how much were the sacks of concrete?

What are the inside dimensions of that thing. It looks nice so far.

/ Ballast Box Build

I had most of the wood laying around, so I haven't spent much on that. The concrete cost just under $5 an 80lb bag (24 bags). That's for the crack resistant kind. The regular concrete doesn't cost that much. If I were building a smaller block, I might consider the regular concrete. But, if you were to buy an actual ballast box and then fill it with concrete, the box itself would cost more than the amount I spent on concrete. I considered going the route of using some form of implement as ballast weight, but I don't have anything that weighs 2000lbs, and implements that heavy are expensive.

/ Ballast Box Build
What are the inside dimensions of that thing. It looks nice so far.

The main rectangular part is 3 feet wide by 17 inches deep and it'll be 32 inches high. The front entension holding the connection point is about 2 feet wide and inches deep. All told, it's just under 14 cubic feet.

/ Ballast Box Build #6  
Great idea....I just finished building a ballast box for my JD 3032E. I made a frame out of 2" angle iron that will hold 14- 4" x 8" x 16" solid concrete blocks. With the weight of the box and blocks that gave me 400 lbs of ballast. The box slides into a 2 inch reciever hitch. I built a hitch for the front of my tractor. I can use the ballast box in the front or in the rear. I can also add more weight if needed. Definently cheaper than suitcase weights or factory box.......Let us know how the concrete works out.

/ Ballast Box Build #7  
One of the local cement factories would fill that form for cheap around here. You could beld up and weld some rebar to that steel that would help reinforce it.

/ Ballast Box Build #8  
That's going to be a manly ballast-box, and I don't envy you mixing and pouring (24) 80# sacks of concrete. I hope you have a mixer, available to make your life easier.

/ Ballast Box Build #9  
MD,

I'd make sure to verify the top link pin could fit a hook for a quick hitch someday. I think the biggest concern is that you have clear distance under the pin to fit a QH hook.

Even if you don't have a QH there may come a day when you do. Maybe just a piece of blocking between the angle iron risers on the top link pin would make sure you have enough clear space to lift it up with a QH.

/ Ballast Box Build
Poured the concrete today. I did use a concrete mixer. And it was still a lot of work. :shocked: Moving 24 bags of concrete (80lbs) is a lot of work. I put all sorts of reinforcement in it, more than what I show in the pics. Hopefully it holds together once it's all set up.

I'm curious to see how the tractor handles the additional weight. It'll weigh in at about 2000lbs once she's done. The tractor is rated at 3310lbs 24 inches out and 4200 at the lift points. So, I'm thinking it should handle this pretty easily and not cause too much stress on the tractor.

BTW, does anyone know? Does concrete weigh more after it's cured than the amount the bags of concrete weighed (the bags total 1920 lbs). I imagine the concrete retains a bit of water weight.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    497.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 501
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 425
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG