Angle Grader help

/ Angle Grader help #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
I know there are a ton of dif. threads on this topic... but I am building one, and would like to find out from the guys with a "store bought" model what angle are the blades set at, both front to back and vertically? I'm not sure it's that critical but there must be a "sweet spot" both to move just the right amount of material in from the side for building a crown and the angle of attack of the blade, so not to be not to agressive a cut but not wanting bounce over a hard spot. I am using 2 3/4x6 std road grader blades (top punched holes) and the cutting depth will be adjustable from about a 1 3/4 "cut" to up (above runners) 4" for spreading. It is roughly based on the Roadrunner blade except my blade adjustment will be by moving the skid shoes instead of the blade assy. I have just about finished both "side plates" and soon will need to build the cutting edge support cross members and hitch brackets. I'm putting a 3pt. hitch on the front and a skid steer quick hitch on the back so I can use it with either. I'v been taking pics if interested. Thanks for any info.

/ Angle Grader help #2  
I'm putting a 3pt. hitch on the front and a skid steer quick hitch on the back so I can use it with either. I'v been taking pics if interested.

I would appreciate seeing pictures!

Does anyone have any experience pushing one instead of pulling it. It would be nicer on skid steer type of equipment to drive forward if possible but I can imagine it wanting to bite in more pushing. And the loader arms etc would be in compression which is weaker than in tension.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken

/ Angle Grader help
I had one (Roadrunner) for a skid steer and it was very impressive!

/ Angle Grader help #4  
Land Pride has plenty of information on what they sell. I'm going to make a grading scraper this spring. I downloaded the spec sheet for the GS15 series. This is from the spec sheet: Two parallel grading blades positioned at a 5 degree grading angle with 17 1/2" fore and aft spacing in between leading edges. I'm not sure if the 5 degrees is side to side or the up and down angle. Post any pituces you've taken, would love to see what you're doing.

/ Angle Grader help
Land Pride has plenty of information on what they sell. I'm going to make a grading scraper this spring.
Hey Al, it is spring!:laughing: I still have snowbanks in the lane, prolly like you.I'll get some photo's on here soon.:thumbsup:

/ Angle Grader help
Here's what I've got done.
Pic. 1 shows cutting out the adjustable runners with the one on the right having the cut out for the slide adj.
Pic. 2 Punching holes to weld spacers (for the slide adj) on from the back
Pic. 3 Cutting out parts of the slide assy.
Pic. 4 Clamped up and ready to finally weld something!
5. Welding on the 1" wear strip on the runner.
6. The runner, basically finished, it's sitting on the side plate that will sit vertically right against the runner. The supports for dual cutting edges will get welded to it.
Is there a more convienient "size" pic. to use here? If you offer a responce, please explain it as if you were telling it to your dog. (me, computer idiot)

Attachments

• April snow& graderblade 031.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 031.jpg
    891.3 KB · Views: 219
  • April snow& graderblade 042.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 042.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 229
  • April snow& graderblade 066.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 066.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 202
  • April snow& graderblade 072.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 072.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 200
  • April snow& graderblade 051.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 051.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 201
  • April snow& graderblade 054.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 054.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 295
   / Angle Grader help #7  
I'd make the angles adjustable (not welded in place) with a series of positions so that sweet spot can be found for the type of grading conditions that you have. Gravel size and type varies from region to region and what works great in one place may not work at all in another.
Seems you want your sweet spot too, so all the great work of building it doesn't become a disappointment.
I can visualize some depth gauge wheels being an asset to road grading as well.
Like your build so far, and wish I had your talent (and equipment :) ).